Sponsored

Power Pack on LE?

RMoore13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Anniversary LE #1711
I'm curious to know if anyone has done Ford's Power Pack 1, 2, or 3 mod to their LE?

I tend to be in the "keep it original" camp with the 50 Year LEs, but since I'm probably going to keep mine for awhile there are a couple of things I'm considering. One would be an upgraded cat back exhaust (which in theory could be returned to stock without issues,) and the other thing that intrigues me is Power Pack 2. The idea of a power boost for a relatively small amount of money is somewhat enticing, but I'd be interested to know if anyone else has done this specific mod to their LE.
Sponsored

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
Personally Id think years down the road a LE with FACTORY offered performance packs is way cooler than a showroom stock one.

Down the road who will have a LE with performance pack?

A FRPP stage 3 one with FRPP exhaust and other catalog goodies would be killer IMO.

A LE would only be better with all the FRPP goodsto top it off!

Just my perspective and 2 cents

Last edited:

CGADAMS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 1992 SSP LX 5.0 W/ 331 stroker
I agree with gearhead on this. if you do any mods to it keep in all FRPP. granted it may be slightly pricier but I think the cool factor of a LE with factory hot rod goodies would be wwwaaayyyy cooler than a bonestock one. it'd be like the old 60's mustangs with rare factory goodies on it after it was sold

outta here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
currently none
Installed MBRP Cat Back exhaust on my LE and LOVE the sound.
Was going to keep the old pipes and mufflers in case next owner wanted to revert back, but junked them.
Sounded too good.

raceredftw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/ Performance Pack
Being completely serious here, why are you so concerned with keeping your car stock (or close to stock) on the basis of it being a 50th anniversary edition? Is it because you think the LE is going to command a higher price on the resale market 10+ years down the road compared to a non-LE GT?

If so, I really wouldn't put that much thought into it if I were you. While the car is a "limited edition," there are literally thousands of them. It isn't like you have "1 of 50." Unless you're planning on making the car a garage queen that only sees a few thousand miles per year, I can't see an LE commanding much higher of a resale price compared to a non-LE GT with similar options 10 years down the road. Look at it from a buyer's perspective - the LE basically gives you a two-tone interior, some chrome accents on the grill/windows/tail lights, and you get some badges that say 50th anniversary. That's it. That really is not enough to command much of a higher price down the road.

Just mod the car and forget about the "LE" designation, you'll enjoy the car a lot more if you quit worrying about what someone else will pay for it when you're done driving it.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
The only thing limited about Mustang is the inability of many owners to reconcile the fact there is nothing limited about it. It's a great,fun beautiful design car, but understand almost ANYTHING that comes out of a manufacturer like FORD ain't gonna be limited.
Except the Ford GT, and that's not a production line vehicle.

OP
OP

RMoore13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I appreciate the feedback everyone. Raceredftw and IPOGT, I totally get where you are coming from and I'm certainly not delusional about the "specialness" of the LE from a resale value standpoint, at least circa 2017. I do think if you weren't desperate to sell and could sit and wait you could probably command a premium over a regular loaded GT, but nothing in the realm of getting more than what we paid for the cars.

I bought mine to enjoy and because I appreciate the history and heritage of the 50th anniversary of the Mustang, but also with the hope that if I ever did need to turn around and sell it it would hopefully hold its value slightly better than a non-LE, or at least be easier to sell because of its semi-rarity. But who knows, I'm hoping to hold onto mine for awhile so I don't have any plans to test that theory.

Regarding my "keep it original" proclivity, it's sort of a two part thing... one being that if the intention is to really change the appearance of the LE as some on this forum have done, (different wheels, gt350 appearance conversion, side window louvers over louvered side windows?!) then it seems like it wasn't the right version of the Mustang to buy in the first place. And the other is related to my possibly quite faulty theory that the LE does hold some slightly (ever so slightly?) higher value than a regular GT, which is to say that if someone values the "limited" part of the LE then there's a good chance it's because they like the car as Ford intended it to be.

All that being said, I think I'm aligned with gearhead2685 in terms of where I'm leaning, which is to make changes that add to my enjoyment of the car without doing irreparable damage or fundamentally altering what makes the car special. So, I would say I'm very likely to do the exhaust and will seriously consider the Power Pack (probably 2) as well. Keep the upgrades in the FRPP family to essentially make it stock+.

I'll update you if/when I do these things and let you know how it all goes.

Edge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Milky
Yes, I installed the Ford Performance Power Pack 2 on my 50LE (WW, 6M) and have contemplated a catback exhaust system but haven't pulled the trigger on that yet. I went with the FPPP2 on my 50LE for many reasons, but partially the ones you and gearhead2685 are espousing in this thread.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Will you be alive in 50 years when it might matter (or will pass the car down to kids)? If it really means that much to you, just keep all the original parts.

I agree with gearhead, FACTORY power pack options would be far more favorable than aftermarket mods, and possibly more than stock, especially when the PP's have to be installed by dealers to retain the warranty.

5.0-50A

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Anniversary WW STICK
Wait a minute, there aren't thousands of these just 1,964 but I get the gist. I think a Lund/ngauge is better money spent than the FRPP especially if drop the cats for that fun ghost cam mode :D I agree mod the car the way you want though. I'm still torn if I want a rear spoiler. Once you drill her that's it eh? lol But living where I do louvers makes more sense first off at least to me, the sun is just brutal even with tint. I draw the line at all these bolt on wide body flares and scoops and whatnot. It's a perfectly fine slippery bar of soap as is and I don't mind flying under the radar a bit.

Sponsored
OP
OP

RMoore13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update...

I added the Performance Pack 2 and the Ford Performance by Borla Sport Catback exhaust, and have been very happy with both.

The Performance Pack adds a bit more power, especially at the low end, which I think the car needed.

And the exhaust... well, all I can say is I wish I had done it sooner! It finally sounds the way I imagined the car should have sounded from the beginning. I think they have rectified this with the new model's active exhaust but this mod (or some version of exhaust upgrade) is a no-brainer that I would recommend to any LE (or 2015-17 GT) owner.

Anyway, overall I'm very happy with both of these upgrades. I think upgrade is actually a better word than modification here, because as I thought about this more from the standpoint of resale and "purity" of the LE (for lack of a better word,) these both seem like things that make the car a better version of itself. I can't imagine anyone wanting to go back to the original parts. In other words, I'm not too worried that these changes will have a negative impact on the value of the car if/when I try to sell it, whatever that value may be. And in the meantime I'm enjoying it a lot more!

5.0-50A

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
I went PMAS Lund ngauge 91 tune and MBRP pro H + catback the car rips like crazy now but regular driving totally docile and still averaging 22 mpg overall. How crazy is that! All new staggered Indy 500s with 25mm spacers front/back. Various upgraded LED blinky things. oh yeah and groovy CoComats. I am totally happy with the mods and pretty much done with my “sleeper”. MRT gen2 louvers here. Not going to drill for any spoiler. Keep it clean oh baby lol

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Limited Edition, WW, Manual
Your car, do as you will.
But please- no delusion. If you want to mod, mod but do not try to justify your mod as an 'improvement'. it ain't.
Mods are MODS. They are NOT improvements.
This car may or may not have any meaning in Ford Mustang history. But if it has meaning it will be as to an original model not an 'improved' version. No future collector is ever going to think 'what a smart guy' making these changes..... the future collector/restorer is going to be saying, under his breath, what FU*KING idiot ruined this rare limited production car by doing x, y, or z.

For reference talk to a guy such as famed restorer Bob Perkins as to restoring a 69/70 Boss 302 who is having to spend thousands and I mean thousands of dollars trying to find and buy an original smog system for the car because some moron in 1969 decided to 'improve' the Boss by ripping out the factory smog system to free up some horsepower. No one in 2018 is thinking of that 1969 smog mod as a brilliant move and how smart the modifier was..... history is not looking back favorably at the idiots who cut out the split window of 63 Corvettes to install the newer and improved 64 full windows.... or the idiot who took a GT350 back on the day and turned in it into a station wagon.

Your living and driving the car now-- it is yours and mod to your taste but never engage in BS self-justification that future owners will thank and respect you for your modifications- they won't and yeah they will be looking for those original parts to reinstall and cursing out the individual who removed them. Just sayin.

OP
OP

RMoore13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang1260, I sure hope you aren't the person trying to restore my car to its original condition in 40 years or I'm really going to get an earful! Yikes.

5.0-50A

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
Ive kicked buyers out like that before they are the fucking idiots IMO and the problem why prices of cars are out of reach and stupid now.
Sponsored

Last edited: