Sponsored

how much a difference does methanol make on pump fi?

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
I will be getting a procharger D1x installed in a few weeks, i wanna know how much power can i gain with methanol injection?
Sponsored

Pincushin3819

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Paxton GT
I wouldn't use it as a fuel source unless you have a tuner that knows there shit. Use it to pre cool & keep your IAT temps down, you will pick up power from that alone. Without tuning for the meth there are cars that's picked 30+ whp just from the cooler fuel temps & air charge. If you tune for meth & a pump fails, line clogges or ECT you could lose your motor from detonation. There are safty features on some kits & there also some tuners that can adjust for the detonation on there tunes to pull power so you want lose your motor but you car will feel like it fell on its face.

chops44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fathouse 1250R....1992 Gt 39k mile garage queen

Travis@boostworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Cooling the charge air once it's been compressed doesn't automatically make more horsepower. But if IAT is an issue, you can run more timing with methanol safely, which will make more power. Mix it 25% meth, 75% distilled water.

Using it as an octane booster works if you direct port inject, and use 100% methanol. I wouldn't try a fogger nozzle in the charge pipe. Distribution issues in the manifold can cause uneven distribution.

v8ter

Typing...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MUSTANG GT 2015 50TH
Cooling the charge air once it's been compressed doesn't automatically make more horsepower. But if IAT is an issue, you can run more timing with methanol safely, which will make more power. Mix it 25% meth, 75% distilled water.

Using it as an octane booster works if you direct port inject, and use 100% methanol. I wouldn't try a fogger nozzle in the charge pipe. Distribution issues in the manifold can cause uneven distribution.
If you use it for cooling only, how would it not make more hp since cooler air = more oxygen density so you can add more fuel = more hp?

Sponsored

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
... I wouldn't try a fogger nozzle in the charge pipe. Distribution issues in the manifold can cause uneven distribution.
So now I’m really confused. This is my first forces induction vehicle, I’m under the impression that the charge pipe is the pipe connected to the throttle body. All the reference I’m seeing for centri units instruct to put the water/meth nozzle in this pipe. Even the manufactures of the various meth kits say to put the nozzle into this pipe. What gives? Or am on not understanding something correctly. I just want my 91 octane gas to act like 93-94 octane to make my knock sensors happy. I am hoping water/meth injection can do that even though I don’t have a high IAT problem.

Travis@boostworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
If you use it for cooling only, how would it not make more hp since cooler air = more oxygen density so you can add more fuel = more hp?
Cooling compressed air only changes the density of the molecules inside the manifold/pipe, not the available oxygen content. This density change will increase (when hotter) or decrease (when colder) the pressure in the manifold. You're still working with the same number of oxygen molecules (and power potential based on that oxygen).

Cooling the charge air temp allows for more timing, which WILL make more power.

Also, if the engine is ingesting atmospheric pressure, and the temp changes (PRE COMPRESSOR), you will have more oxygen available. That's the scenario where cooler air makes more power before being compressed.

Travis@boostworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So now I’m really confused. This is my first forces induction vehicle, I’m under the impression that the charge pipe is the pipe connected to the throttle body. All the reference I’m seeing for centri units instruct to put the water/meth nozzle in this pipe. Even the manufactures of the various meth kits say to put the nozzle into this pipe. What gives? Or am on not understanding something correctly. I just want my 91 octane gas to act like 93-94 octane to make my knock sensors happy. I am hoping water/meth injection can do that even though I don’t have a high IAT problem.
There's nothing wrong with running it in the charge pipe.. you just don't want to do that with anything more than 50% methanol/ethanol. If it's combustible, you want it direct port, as it's being used for fueling. The plastic factory intake manifold is not designed to distribute droplets of atomized liquid, which will lead to uneven distribution and some cylinders running more/less away from ideal A/F ratio. So, for cooling, keep it under 50% meth/alky and you're fine. It won't combust.
Sponsored