Winter storage question

davew5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP
I’m storing my 2017 Mustang GT tomorrow and was curious if it’s necessary to disconnect the battery. It will stay in storage until late March early April and there’s no electricity available to me. Being that it’s a newer car I wasn’t sure if there will be an issue if it’s left disconnected for that long.
Sponsored

BlueDevil2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT DIB
I stored mine last winter for the first time and used the Battery tender. Was put away for three plus months about the same time as you. I would think the battery would almost certainly be dead unless you start it occasionally

OP
OP
davew5.0

davew5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I won’t have electricity so I can’t use a battery tender. Do you think I’ll have an issue if I just remove the battery and just reinstall it when I take it out of storage? I can use the tender at home so the battery will be fine.

BlueDevil2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT DIB
You can lose default settings and such. Not sure anything else but hope someone else can chime in who has taken the battery out during storage.

OP
OP
davew5.0

davew5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I’m not worried about the default settings or things like radio stations and interior light colors. I’m wondering if there will be an issue starting the car in the Spring. Someone told me some newer cars will need the computer reset by the dealer. I’ve personally never heard that but I guess it’s possible.

Sponsored

BlueDevil2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT DIB
I've heard that too but don't know for a fact. Wish I knew for sure, it's one of the reasons I went with the Battery Tender which I know you don't have access to electric. You can take the chance that it will start in the spring or like I said start it occasionally if possible to keep the batttery charged. Sorry I'm not more help.

OP
OP
davew5.0

davew5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
No problem. Hopefully someone who knows will chime in tonight.

OP
OP
davew5.0

davew5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Spoke to a Ford tech today and he said to just disconnect the battery and it will be fine until Spring. I stored the car and did what he said. I’ll probably take the battery out and get a tender to make sure the battery is fine.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Your battery will be "fine" to leave in the car, but it will need a full recharge come next spring.

I take mine out and bring inside the house just so that it's not in the cold. By the end of the winter, it has enough of a charge to start the car and be recharged just by normal driving. If I leave it in the car in the cold, it won't start the next spring without a jump or without having it charged by a local auto store.

This is a basic Duralast gold battery, not sure if you'd have better luck with a different brand.

Cplennon17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Your battery will be "fine" to leave in the car, but it will need a full recharge come next spring.

I take mine out and bring inside the house just so that it's not in the cold. By the end of the winter, it has enough of a charge to start the car and be recharged just by normal driving. If I leave it in the car in the cold, it won't start the next spring without a jump or without having it charged by a local auto store.

This is a basic Duralast gold battery, not sure if you'd have better luck with a different brand.
+1. Have been "storing" my cars for winter (car cover outside..in the snow unfortunately) and just take my battery out and bring it inside. Put everything back in mid April and starts right up.

Sponsored

drbrian722

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Sorry to wake up a sleeping thread, but I just wanted to chime in and say that pulling the battery is what you should do.
Mine was put in the garage with the negative battery terminal pulled from December to April and once it was hooked back up everything was fine. It even remembered the radio presets and all the mycolor preferences. The only thing it lost (and I don't know why) was where my dimmer was set for the gauges.

OP
OP
davew5.0

davew5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
No problem, I’m glad to actually hear from someone that everything was fine once the battery was reconnected. I did pull my battery and have it in my basement which stays warm. Hopefully I have the same luck in the spring.
Sponsored