Cypress98

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 5.0 GT Auto
Hi,

I've installed some diode dynamics side markers and decided to split and solder the connector into the number plate lamps. All was fine when installed but noticed a couple of days ago that neither the side markers nor the number plate lamps were working.

I've just unplugged the side markers, ford dealer suggested it might be a can bus error (?). Still no number plate lamps
Sponsored

Last edited:

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Seems unlikely it would be canbus. Loads of people running these sidemarkers. Is your soldered connection good?

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
That^.

Mine are spliced into the number plate lights and work fine. That said, I do know DD changed the connections on their lights after I bought mine as a lot of people were bitching about how crap they were, still don't see how it could be CANBUS though.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Blown fuse sounds the most likely.

DD have had issues with sidemarkers (Export and US) with the sidemarkers "dying" due to water ingress, but I've never heard of both go (sidelight and reverse light).

If you have access to one, can you check the voltage going through that line? obviously if no volts = no power = blown fuse?

FWIW, I cut the plastic on mine, spliced into the wire with a tap and taped it up, it's been fine for nearly a year now. No light going, no water ingress (I've also taped around the connector).

CANBUS seems totally illogical as an issue. That's cause the sidemarkers to die, and that'd be immediate, not after a few days. It wouldn't cause sidemarkers & reg plate lights to go.

Can you check the solder? is it still intact?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Cypress98

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 5.0 GT Auto
Hi,

I spent a bunch of time debugging this problem.

Pulled out the side markers and the number plate lamps and powered them up with an external power supply, all worked OK.

Stripped the insulation on the joints and checked, re-insulated

Found multi-meter in garage and checked the voltage on the number plate lamps sockets, 0 volts :(

Did a continuity check between all connectors, all good

Scratched head for a while, rechecked voltage at one of number plate lamps sockets, voltage went to -12, so checked other lamp socket which was then reading 11.5.

Plugged number plate lights back all working!

The -12v suggests to me that there is a controller involved somewhere that determines the behaviour of the lights

Next stage is to plug the side markers back in . . .

Thanks for the comments so far

Paul;

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Paul,

you are aware that the lights only will turn on when headlights or sidelights are on right? If the DRLs are on, then they won't work. That's for both number plate and sidemarkers.

OP
OP

Cypress98

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 5.0 GT Auto
Hi,

Light switch was my first though, noticed the problem when it was dark when I went out, headlights on and the side markers weren't on, neither where the rear number plate lights.

Tried all light switch settings, but no joy, so started to pull everything out and re-check.

The canbus comment was from the dealer when I went to ask about a fuse, apparently they had another customer with the same issue that was resolved when the side markers were disconnected.

Paul;

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,

Light switch was my first though, noticed the problem when it was dark when I went out, headlights on and the side markers weren't on, neither where the rear number plate lights.

Tried all light switch settings, but no joy, so started to pull everything out and re-check.

The canbus comment was from the dealer when I went to ask about a fuse, apparently they had another customer with the same issue that was resolved when the side markers were disconnected.

Paul;
odd, very odd, ohwell, seems to be fine now, maybe a powering issue? Pulling too much or something? what's volt on the battery say in the car? :shrug:
Sponsored