Sponsored

Anyone have an epoxy floor?

Bob_Whit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Hi
My new garage is almost finished. Next spring I plan to epoxy coat the floor. Has anyone done this & do you have any tips?

I'm going to try to get a stone look if that helps.

Thanks
Sponsored

Oryx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I have one. The best tip I can give you, seeing that you are in Wisconsin, is make sure the concrete temps are well above the recommended application temps. I believe that they say the temps should be above 60 degrees for a couple of days, but that’s a minimum. I think the concrete temp needs to be above 50 degrees. Best application is in early mid summer. Epoxy doesn’t spread well when cold and the moisture content when cooler is not good for long life either.
You don’t want to have to try to re-apply...... ask me how I know!

You may also want to buy some extra chips to have on hand for the surface.... you can always return them if needed, but dont want to run out or have to go too thin at the later stages of the job.

OP
OP

Bob_Whit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Thanks for the tips Oryx. I'm not going to use chips, I found one that looks like rough cut slate & it's a nice dark grey. What did you use to clean the concrete before application? This suckers gonna have a winter of my snow blower going in & out, I'm sure the floor will be pretty dirty by next summer.

Oryx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
The product I used came with an etching compound. I pressure washed first and then you mix up a packet of something that resembles a citric acid with water and then you scrub it. Need to let dry for a day or two. Hopefully you can get it done before the weather turns next weekend!
One side of my garage has had 2 Minnesota winters and it’s held up well. Much easier to clean than standard uncoated concrete. It can get slippery however, so make sure you have some sort of traction.
Best of luck.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
I would use the chips. At first I didnt want to but it looked so bland so I ended up using them. If its just plain epoxy with no chips the surface is like glass, a bit slippery unless you add the additive that makes it grippy. I didnt use anything special the Rustoleum Rock Solid stuff from Lowes. They said only one coat is required, a second coat makes it MUCH better

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
IMO, here’s THE best, most conclusive website for garage hobbyists or those looking to improve their “man caves”:

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

Check out the flooring section over there - great group of very informative and helpful folks regarding anything related to a garage project!
Sponsored