Ecoboost Turbo Blew Up

itsbassi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Giuseppe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
Soooo yeah, title pretty much states what happened. While I was data logging for my tune, my turbo blew up (pretty embarrassing). But anyways, I was wondering if any Ecoboost owners know of any good (and decently priced) drop in turbos?

Not looking to be at 600whp and competing with V8s. But a conservative 380whp-400whp with my bolt ons would be nice lol
Sponsored

vegetakid24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ecoboost
Vargas

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
The only drop-in turbo upgrade on the market is the Vargas. Those start at $2,000 and go up depending on the stage. If you want a stock turbo replacement, PM me. I have one on the shelf that's in great condition.

Last edited:

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
The Turbo itself blew up?

I wanna see pictures!
Was it the compressor? That would be bad(you need to pull out all of your Intecooler pipes and intercooler to get the metal out before it finds it's way into your Engine)
or was it the turbine? (just have to get the wheel out of your cat and make sure the cat isn't too badly messed up)

Sponsored

Edkiefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR4ti

I wanna see pictures!
Was it the compressor? That would be bad(you need to pull out all of your Intecooler pipes and intercooler to get the metal out before it finds it's way into your Engine)
or was it the turbine? (just have to get the wheel out of your cat and make sure the cat isn't too badly messed up)
Yeh, if that happened the engine would get damaged in short order, cylinder wall scoring , rings etc.

Intercooler probably catch big chunks but fine particles, no, hopefully he means bad oil leak or something (bad center bearing play0.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Yeh, if that happened the engine would get damaged in short order, cylinder wall scoring , rings etc.

Intercooler probably catch big chunks but fine particles, no, hopefully he means bad oil leak or something (bad center bearing play0.
Ive had both modes of failure on past cars, The IC catches the majority of it and saves the engine. (that was a cheap Ebay turbo where the main bearing failed). The saving grace on our cars is the nearly vertical "cold side" Pipe from the IC, With the car not being in boost any longer it would be hard for any peices to make it past the IC and up that pipe.

DontoMelbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future EB Vert
Soooo yeah, title pretty much states what happened. While I was data logging for my tune, my turbo blew up (pretty embarrassing). But anyways, I was wondering if any Ecoboost owners know of any good (and decently priced) drop in turbos?

Not looking to be at 600whp and competing with V8s. But a conservative 380whp-400whp with my bolt ons would be nice lol
If you're on FB and not part of the Ford Mustang EcoBoost you should check that out for used parts. Someone (Leed Nedrick) posted this week (8/14) a V2 TS with tune+ wastegate actuator for $1700.

Edkiefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR4ti
Ive had both modes of failure on past cars, The IC catches the majority of it and saves the engine. (that was a cheap Ebay turbo where the main bearing failed). The saving grace on our cars is the nearly vertical "cold side" Pipe from the IC, With the car not being in boost any longer it would be hard for any peices to make it past the IC and up that pipe.
the vertical cold pipe would definitely help keeping anything down in IC.

Anyway, always get any noise check out when it comes to turbos, I used to check impeller play ever so often (just rough test, check side to side and back to front play).

Over the yrs I have fixed all kinds of issues, most times its center bearing problem.

OP
OP
itsbassi

itsbassi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Giuseppe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
If you're on FB and not part of the Ford Mustang EcoBoost you should check that out for used parts. Someone (Leed Nedrick) posted this week (8/14) a V2 TS with tune+ wastegate actuator for $1700.
Gonna check this out, thank you!

Sponsored
OP
OP
itsbassi

itsbassi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Giuseppe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost

I wanna see pictures!
Heard a loud pop and my HKS BOV never whistled since then, felt weird and pulled over. My turbo was charcoal black lmfao, had my friend help me out in checking it out..turbine didn't spin anymore but the IC was fine. Got myself a N/A 4 banger Mustang lol

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Heard a loud pop and my HKS BOV never whistled since then, felt weird and pulled over. My turbo was charcoal black lmfao, had my friend help me out in checking it out..turbine didn't spin anymore but the IC was fine. Got myself a N/A 4 banger Mustang lol
Well, you won't be winning any half throttle races now. Maybe the 5.0s will finally stand a chance. :D
Sponsored