Sponsored

Bob Lutz Weighs in On Mustang and Camaro Battle

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I think your perspective comes off as being skewed. I'm a big time car guy and I pride myself on being able to identify different vehicles. I work hard to be able to identify the new Camaro. I can easily tell the new from old gen Mustang at a glance.
A good point. From a distance, the S550 is easy to distinguish from the S197. With the 6th gen camaro, I have to start looking for identifiable features that differentiate the two.
Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
"The Camaro, an even better car, sinks into quasi-irrelevance. You can’t tell it from the previous one"
This is a pretty stupid comment. Yes the S550 exceeded every expectations of Mustang sales, but the Camaro still sells ok for a way pricier car

attachment.png

Also I think you really have to not be into cars at all to see more differences betweens 2013 and 2015 Mustang, but no difference in 2014 and 2016 Camaro. It's ok to not like it, but the 5th gen on both cars were so much bulky and kinda dated compared to the current gens.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Mustang. But what Bob Lutz says sounds more like a fanboy than someone that you want in high position of a company

Bro, look ok at the wheelbase, & width. You are talking about the clunky look of the Camaro vs the refined lines of the Mustang.

Camaro looks comical, not even respectful.

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
Same conversation I have with the Camaro guy at work. The Mustang Sells. Period. Also has the aftermarket to make it a better car. Until the 2018 MSRP, there has always been a price gap that could be used to defend the lack of stock performance between the two.
Hated a lot about my 2013, so when I totaled it last year I was thinking about going to Camaro - I'm not brand loyal, I will buy anything as long as it is worth it. It would have cost me $4,000 more just for the v8. I didn't spend more than 10 minutes on their website. No brainer to stick with Ford (even though the damn motor on my 2016 blew up at 4,000 miles)

SesiomSummers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Build
Vehicle Showcase
I think this Bob Lutz character needs to take a look at the real numbers like retail sales and track times as that is all that matters.

with all due respect... not the most sold product is the better.. Is like saying Trump won because he was the better option... the mustang GT is the under dog compared to the camaro SS and challenger but also is the more easy to DD and own on the everyday of the pack... now the mustangs sell more because the car is a fan favorite on the US market and thats it... at this point is usless to say X car is better as they are both amazing pieces of American Cars

( before I get bashed for not trashing on GM I own a 2015 mustang GT)

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
The camaro is one gigantic blind spot, with one of the ugliest interiors I've ever seen.
Challenger, well, it's a manpon. Bloated and can fit five. Looks? Fugly.
Mustang may not be the quickest, but overall it's the best imo.

SesiomSummers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Build
Vehicle Showcase
The camaro is one gigantic blind spot, with one of the ugliest interiors I've ever seen.
Challenger, well, it's a manpon. Bloated and can fit five. Looks? Fugly.
Mustang may not be the quickest, but overall it's the best imo.
sorry but the Blind spot is an escuse for Fan boys to say something bad about the SS... after a few days living with it you forget about it, and is acutally something really stupid to complain about it, why dont you trash on the ford GTs, corvettes, lambos etc blind spot as well? as it seems with people who drive mustangs Camaros and even Hondas want to trash Other cars for no valid reason because they want to feel better and mentally reinforce they have the "best car ever made"...

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
sorry but the Blind spot is an escuse for Fan boys to say something bad about the SS... after a few days living with it you forget about it, and is acutally something really stupid to complain about it, why dont you trash on the ford GTs, corvettes, lambos etc blind spot as well? as it seems with people who drive mustangs Camaros and even Hondas want to trash Other cars for no valid reason because they want to feel better and mentally reinforce they have the "best car ever made"...
The enormous blind spot and tank like visibility never goes away. You may become numb to it, but every time you get into a different vehicle it's as if someone opened your eyelids the rest of the way to let light in. I absolutely loathe he tankmaro's visibility. And it's not just the tiny rear window and C pillar. It's also the absurdly thick a pillar, tank slot windows and chopped windshield.

As for the visibility on exotics, surely you're not putting the Camaro in the same league? Exotics aren't daily drivers. They aren't vehicles made for long distance traveling. And even so, Ferrari and the likes make GT cars for that purpose.

Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
So much of buying a new car is about first impressions. No doubt that after driving a Camaro for a few days you will get used to the visibility issues. After all, that's what mirrors are for, and how big do you need your side windows to be?

But, when you drop by the Chevy dealer and sit in a Camaro for the first time the impression of being in a pill box is palpable. The "feeling" of poor visibility is just as important as the actual visibility. On your first test drive, the first time you pull up to a red light and realize you can't see the signal without ducking your head a little sticks with you.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
The enormous blind spot and tank like visibility never goes away. You may become numb to it, but every time you get into a different vehicle it's as if someone opened your eyelids the rest of the way to let light in. I absolutely loathe he tankmaro's visibility. And it's not just the tiny rear window and C pillar. It's also the absurdly thick a pillar, tank slot windows and chopped windshield.

As for the visibility on exotics, surely you're not putting the Camaro in the same league? Exotics aren't daily drivers. They aren't vehicles made for long distance traveling. And even so, Ferrari and the likes make GT cars for that purpose.
The Camaro is an exotic though.

ArabianOak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Having owned cars from all makers (I had a C6Z before my 16GTPP) I will chime in on what makes ME buy the mustang over the Camaro. First off does anyone else find it annoying that chevy slaps the same engine in SOOO many different cars?

The Camaro shares the vette engine, and the ZL1 shares the C7Z engine and the Z28 had the C6Z engine...With the mustang i'm getting the 5.0 and it's not shared with the Shelby or the GT350 etc etc. It feels just a tad more special in that dept.

Having driven the new Camaro for a week straight (I rented one in Oregon last year while on vacation) I can tell you that car is SMALL on the inside...head room, leg room, width of the car and yes, the blindspots are beyond horrendous! The power from there V6 was incredible though and the transmission felt great. The interior was the same old cheap plastic crap they have always had. A step up from the old Camaro no doubt but nothing like the Mustangs new interior.

The looks of the new Camaro are nothing short of a disaster. It's hard for me to believe chevy engineers couldn't come up with something better. Looks are more important than "track times" for nearly every buyer and chevy really lost on that front. Even the die hard chevy fans hate the looks of the new Camaro.

Anyways, the bottom line is between the looks of the new mustang and the incredible step up with the interior compared to the model before it, people really do love it. Every single person who has gotten in my car has commented on how great the interior looks.

If I was chevy I would make the Camaro look sportier, make it slightly bigger and improve the interior dramatically. I think that's what buyers want. I don't care if the car weighs 200lbs more because of that, I don't care about the Nurburgring times, give me something I can live with and look at without getting nauseous.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Another reason that's helping Mustang sales (even if marginal) is Camaro does not produce RHD cars or export to the same number of markets.
Sponsored