2nd Gear Beginning to Fail on GT PP

Rob23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP Oxford White
So on my way to work in the morning about a week ago I noticed halfway into my drive things were acting up. I was in 2nd gear and coasting at around 2500 RPM and 2nd gear wanted to pop out into neutral. Didn't really think much of it and nothing really happened until today on my way home from work.

2nd gear again wanted to pop out but this time all i heard was a loud grinding noise and the gear shifter was vibrating and shaking. I held it back and kept it from popping out.

Has this happened to anyone else? I was thinking of buying a Barton shifter very soon but I don't know if this would fix this or if this is a bad syncro causing the issue here.

Car is a 2016 GT PP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am getting a little worried now.
Sponsored

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I believe a gear popping into neutral by itself is usually a symptom of a bad shift fork on that gear. I had this problem on an old Supra, it would only happen when decelerating in second gear, it would pop out of gear.

I don't see a tune or transmission mods in your sig, so I'd say you'd better take it into the dealer. This won't be an easy backyard mechanic fix.

OP
OP
Rob23

Rob23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
I believe a gear popping into neutral by itself is usually a symptom of a bad shift fork on that gear. I had this problem on an old Supra, it would only happen when decelerating in second gear, it would pop out of gear.

I don't see a tune or transmission mods in your sig, so I'd say you'd better take it into the dealer. This won't be an easy backyard mechanic fix.
I think you may be right. The problem happens as I am coasting in 2nd gear slowing down using the transmission.

Does anyone else have any input regarding this problem?

M151A2

Skinny old dude
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emmett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
A new shifter will be of no help. There are a few things that will cause this, all of which require opening the case.
Damned the bad luck!

OP
OP
Rob23

Rob23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE

I haven't had a chance to get to the dealer just yet but the car now will not hold 2nd gear at all. If I put it into 2nd and let off the clutch it immediately and agressively tries to pop out and grinds like crazy.

Pretty sure this is a mix of a messed up syncro and shift fork.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rob23

Rob23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
I am getting my car back on Monday or Tuesday of next week from Ford after being in the shop for 2 weeks now.

Ford outsourced the repair of the transmission to a 3rd party transmission shop.

The service advisor told me they replaced syncronizer gears for 1,2 and 3.

Has anyone else went through their syncros?

I have 13000 miles on the car.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I didn't realize 1 had a syncro.
Sponsored