Loud clicking under acceleration

3ZERO3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have a n unusual noise coming from the drivers side of my vehicle under moderate to heavy acceleration. There is another person on the facebook page that has experienced the same situation but hasn't had it resolved. When I leave a stop light or driving on the highway and I apply moderate accel, there is a hesitation in power and a fairly loud rapid "clicking" sound from the drivers side and what sounds like close to the firewall. I have owned the vehicle since new (currently 6K miles) and have never run under 91 octane, the vehicle is completely stock. The motor almost feels like traction control is kicking in however it's not. Whats's really strange is, every time it occurs I see a puff of black smoke coming from the back. I have taken it to Ford to have them look at it but they were not able to duplicate it. As a service consultant myself, it's hard to find time to take it in. Has anyone else had a similar issue and was it resolved? Thanks:cheers:
Sponsored

TheWildman

Jazz Master
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kona EcoBoost Base (PP)
Can you get a video of it?
Puff of black smoke?!?! Sounds like low speed pre-ignition. Is the car warmed up when this happens?

I haven't heard of this particular clicking issue happening, but the hesitation and puffs of black smoke sound familiar. (I haven't experienced this situation but someone else should chime in)

OP
OP
3ZERO3

3ZERO3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
It does sound like pre-ignition however I can duplicate the concern almost every single time. Vehicle is completely warm and at operating temp. The sound and power-loss is most noticeable when the vehicle is at full boost. It feels like the motor is pulling timing and closing the throttle. The "clicking" noise though is what gets me. I have no idea what would be clicking on the drivers side near the firewall but thats "where" it sounds like its coming from.

Jcopin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 legend lime v6 coupe, 15 deep impact blue vert
this sounds like a job for the dealer......
if you can duplicate it nearly every time show them.

OP
OP
3ZERO3

3ZERO3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Admins: can you please move this thread to Issues, recalls and tsb thread please

Sponsored

OP
OP
3ZERO3

3ZERO3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Still no resolve on this. Anyone else experience it?

Memphis-EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Impact Blue Ecoboost
Have you checked your exhaust for leaks? Occasionally an exhaust leak will make a ticking sound.

OP
OP
3ZERO3

3ZERO3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Not exhaust tick. It ticks 4 or 5 times very rapidly then there is a significant amount of black smoke from the exhaust. It looks like Im rolling coal.

CustomS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Mustang
Have you checked the intercooler piping for oil? Maybe there's a lot of blow by in the turbo?

Not exhaust tick. It ticks 4 or 5 times very rapidly then there is a significant amount of black smoke from the exhaust. It looks like Im rolling coal.

OP
OP
3ZERO3

3ZERO3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Just had the car at the dealership for 4 days. They duplicated the sound but dont know where its coming from. Thinking about trading it in on a GT.

Sponsored

clubamericalara

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
check your spark plugs, mine used to make that clicking noise under full throttle until i replaced them.

Datalux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost, Premium, Auto, PP
I just had this happen the other day getting on the freeway at the top of first gear. Not sure if there was any black smoke because it freaked me out and didn't look in the rear view. Never happened before, car has 23K miles, 91 Oct. Tune+, Sport mufflers - nothing crazy. Engine was fully warmed up, 1/4 tank of gas remaining and a hot day (95 deg)

Thought for sure I blew something... In my minds eye I could just see valves slapping the pistons. Drove home without an issue, listened with hood open and didn't heard any odd noises. Car seems fine and I've gotten on it a few times since and it hasn't repeated. I didn't have the access port connected at the time, but I'm sure it would have shown knock. I did go back to the Cobb OTS 91 Oct. tune the next day just for...because.

Mine was more than 4-6 clicks, it was more of a rapid fire loud metallic clacking sound that last a second or 2 till I let off the throttle.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I just had this happen the other day getting on the freeway at the top of first gear. Not sure if there was any black smoke because it freaked me out and didn't look in the rear view. Never happened before, car has 23K miles, 91 Oct. Tune+, Sport mufflers - nothing crazy. Engine was fully warmed up, 1/4 tank of gas remaining and a hot day (95 deg)

Thought for sure I blew something... In my minds eye I could just see valves slapping the pistons. Drove home without an issue, listened with hood open and didn't heard any odd noises. Car seems fine and I've gotten on it a few times since and it hasn't repeated. I didn't have the access port connected at the time, but I'm sure it would have shown knock. I did go back to the Cobb OTS 91 Oct. tune the next day just for...because.

Mine was more than 4-6 clicks, it was more of a rapid fire loud metallic clacking sound that last a second or 2 till I let off the throttle.
Did the frequency increase with speed and/or RPM? Can you feel it, in the steering wheel, through your seat, on the pedals or the gear shift? How loud? Loud enough to be heard over a normal conversation? Did you notice any decrease in performance? Did it stop as soon as you let off the throttle?

Consider recording data next time it happens: environmental (temp, humidity, etc.) and engine (RPM, MAP/boost pressure, head/coolant/oil/intake temps, etc.).

clubamericalara

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost

Its literally your spark plugs, not your tune. :headbonk:
Sponsored