Sponsored

Question about full exhaust and 98 dB sound limit

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I went to Atlanta Motorsports Park last year for an HPDE and had a great time! At the time, I had a Borla S-type cutback, so I wasn't too concerned about the 98 dB sound limit. Since then, however, I added Kooks long tube catted headers, and now I have a feeling I'm over the limit... I haven't taken any measurements yet, but I got my sound meter from Amazon the other day so I can know for sure.

Does anyone on here have full exhaust and have any experience with noise limits? I'm thinking I may need to add the Borla resonator and swap out the X-pipe for it on track days. Not a big deal, but I'd like to get an "official" measurement and opinions before I do.
Sponsored

jdub.csu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
Are borla tips removable? If so get turn downs with supertrapps for track days it's what some of us do.

OP
OP

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Are borla tips removable? If so get turn downs with supertrapps for track days it's what some of us do.
No, unfortunately they're not. AMP's website specifically says that sort of thing is not allowed, but I really have no idea if they enforce it or not.

LSU Mech Eng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Dragster,

I was in a similar situation. Was running Borla S-type and loved the sound. Then I added TX Speed & Performance LTHs and the sound was... lets say LOUD. At an SCCA National Tour AutoX event we were given a sound that we were approaching 100db (limit was 103 but they warn you at 100).

After the event I switched my Catback to the Magnaflow Streets and it was a CONSIDERABLE drop in db. At a similar event I was down in the mid 90s at full throttle so I am much happier.

NOTE: location conditions and weather have a HUGE impact on decibel readings. If you think you are close to the limit you should investigate a solution.

Anyway, that's what I have done for track days. Hope the info helps.
Sponsored