Sponsored

Tell me which mustang is for me

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I never owned american car. But I feel like it might be the time to get one. I also feel like Mustang might be the one to own. I like fun to drive cars, nicely made manual transmissions. I've owned jspaneese and european cars before. Did some autocrossing, but no tracking.

I rented current and previous gen mustangs (AT transmission) and thought they weren't bad, especially the last one. I know next to nothing about mustang ownership experience - how reliable they are and how difficult or easy they are to work on. I typically just pay dealers for repairs if the cost is reasonable, but DIY if it's doable and saves a lot. I prefer long term ownership.

I'm very suspicious to turbos and DI engines based on my previous experience (engine carbonization), so I can rule ecoboost out at least. How good/bad is V6 with mt? Or, should I go GT?

Isn't the last gen too computerized? I didn't like multiple driving and steering mode selections. Things like that might be prohibitively difficult to repair if go bad.

Mustang is not the only candidate, but pretty viable.
Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Well, you're going to get biased opinions on this site, but I can tell you that driving the Mustang GT with Performance Package is anything from a comfortable highway cruiser (I did four hours last night with nary a backache) to a visceral corner machine. The chassis is VERY well sorted, and while there is a LOT of technology, as well as some nagging issues that people have experienced (AC Evap and cooled seats come to mind), but they're great cars. I've put 22k on mine in about 19 months, and it's the most fun I've ever had driving a car.

The V6 is a fine engine. Absolutely fine. The Ecoboost is better. The Coyote is much better. Honestly, it really depends on what you want. If you want to get decent highway mileage out of a car that's fun and tossable, go for the Ecoboost. If you want to buy one on the cheap, grab the V6. If you've got an extra few thousand bucks you can spend, spring for the GT. I'd tell you that if you want a fun car, out of the box, the Ecoboost Performance Package or GT Performance Package are the way to go. The tires suck, but that's an easy replacement.

The best thing you can do is go to a dealership that has a fairly good selection and just drive a bunch of cars. Be honest with the salesperson, tell them that you don't know which engine you want, and you need to get some seat time in each model. If you're serious, they'll help you out.

JR

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
Best advice, test drive a manual GT, one with the Performance Package and one without it and decide for yourself.

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
If you want a low insurance payment: get the V6
If you want to have a smile on your face more often while driving: get the V8

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
If you want a low insurance payment: get the V6
If you want to have a smile on your face more often while driving: get the V8
Is V6 being discontinued? Not sure where I have this rumor in my head from...

Also, is it the same mt for v8 and v6?

Sponsored

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Well, you're going to get biased opinions on this site, but I can tell you that driving the Mustang GT with Performance Package is anything from a comfortable highway cruiser (I did four hours last night with nary a backache) to a visceral corner machine. The chassis is VERY well sorted, and while there is a LOT of technology, as well as some nagging issues that people have experienced (AC Evap and cooled seats come to mind), but they're great cars. I've put 22k on mine in about 19 months, and it's the most fun I've ever had driving a car.

The V6 is a fine engine. Absolutely fine. The Ecoboost is better. The Coyote is much better. Honestly, it really depends on what you want. If you want to get decent highway mileage out of a car that's fun and tossable, go for the Ecoboost. If you want to buy one on the cheap, grab the V6. If you've got an extra few thousand bucks you can spend, spring for the GT. I'd tell you that if you want a fun car, out of the box, the Ecoboost Performance Package or GT Performance Package are the way to go. The tires suck, but that's an easy replacement.

The best thing you can do is go to a dealership that has a fairly good selection and just drive a bunch of cars. Be honest with the salesperson, tell them that you don't know which engine you want, and you need to get some seat time in each model. If you're serious, they'll help you out.

JR
Any features/packages to avoid? 'Cause I just paid for ac evap replacement at my current car and it was pita to diy and even more so to pay dealership to repar it.

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
Is V6 being discontinued? Not sure where I have this rumor in my head from...

Also, is it the same mt for v8 and v6?
The V6 is being discontinued in 2018. Yes, the EB, V6 and V8 all use the same MT-82 manual transmission.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
If you've never driven a Mustang before, you might be surprised. They've been compared straight-up to the BMW M4 for years now, and the current car is extremely refined due to it's 4-wheel independent suspension......it's just a phenomenal thing.

On the opposite side of the coin, because the chassis is so good, the car is not as entertaining as the 2011-2014 cars, which were hairy beasts. The suspension is so good on the S550 cars, that it feels calm, poised and almost boring in comparison.

Definitely get the GT Performance Pack if you want real entertainment. There are a few suspension bits and bobs you might add to the rear of the car to increase lateral control, but really the only other complaint may be it needs more shock, more damping. Switching to better tires is also an option, but that's for every car.

As an all-arounder, they are truly amazing. Very quiet and comfortable, great performance, and low cost for what you get.

The only things I've done to my car is a tune and transmission fluid change, plus some plush and luxurious floor mats.

If you're going to go all out, get a Performance Pack Premium car with the Recaro seats. You'll love it.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Transmission is the same in the manuals as far as I know.

Drive the GT. If you don't think you can live with less power and performance, then buy it. If not, drive the others. If you drive the others first you'll be impressed with the power and think it's good enough, but then you'll always wonder aobut the GT. Then you'll drive one and wish you had bought it.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I drove my first ever Mustang last year in 2016. It was a 2016 Mustang GT PP with Recaros and a 2016 Mustang GT with 3.55 gears and 20" Foundry wheels.

The performance pack Mustang was much better to drive overall. The non performance pack just felt squishy and not very sport like. It needs some suspension work imo but it something just did not feel right with it.

I ended up ordering a 2017 with the premier trim, 401A, and the PP since those were hard to find. Love every bit of it. This coming from a first time Mustang owner as of 5/16/17.

Sponsored

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
Drive the GT first so you can compare the V-6 and EB models to the GT. Some enthusiasts prefer a Base model with its somewhat lighter curb weight and blank canvass to begin with to mod how they see fit. While some prefer the Perf Pack w/the 3.73s, Brembo brakes, staggered wheel set-up, 6 Spd tranny and larger radiator to name a few goodies.

In the end choose what fits your budget (if that's a concern) and what type of factory performance out of the box you are after.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I used to have a 2013 V6 convertible automatic. The auto on my 2015 V8 is way better than any automatic I've ever had. I really liked my 2013 but I Love this car. I say get the automatic.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I never owned american car. But I feel like it might be the time to get one. I also feel like Mustang might be the one to own. I like fun to drive cars, nicely made manual transmissions. I've owned jspaneese and european cars before. Did some autocrossing, but no tracking.

I rented current and previous gen mustangs (AT transmission) and thought they weren't bad, especially the last one. I know next to nothing about mustang ownership experience - how reliable they are and how difficult or easy they are to work on. I typically just pay dealers for repairs if the cost is reasonable, but DIY if it's doable and saves a lot. I prefer long term ownership.

I'm very suspicious to turbos and DI engines based on my previous experience (engine carbonization), so I can rule ecoboost out at least. How good/bad is V6 with mt? Or, should I go GT?

Isn't the last gen too computerized? I didn't like multiple driving and steering mode selections. Things like that might be prohibitively difficult to repair if go bad.

Mustang is not the only candidate, but pretty viable.
Wait for the '18. Then decide on the EB or GT. And you can get the PP with MT/AUTO so you have lots of options.

With the changes coming you'd be wise to wait unless you don't care about improvements across the board.