Sponsored

Help needed for clear coat damage from bird dropping.

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
Ok these look simple enough to deal with...

The first step I would try is to rehydrate the organic compounds that are left on the surface. Lay a wet towel over the spots impacted by bird droppings to rehydrate and then attempt to remove the rest of the organic compounds with clay bar and clay lube solution (I use diluted Optimum No-Rinse car wash for this btw).

If that doesn't work, or you can still see the droppings then move on to a polish. You should try the least abrasive option first, and I never recommend toothpaste for the record. I would second the suggestion of M205, if you can see it working but still isn't up to your standards think about keeping with 205 but moving to a firmer pad. If you just can't get there, hit it with M105 *but* you need to follow this step up by polishing everything down with M205 because 105 doesn't finish nearly well enough for such a deep color (or, at all.. don't let anyone tell you different!). If that STILL leaves the bird droppings, you will need to wet sand. It's not as scary as it sounds, just go slow/keep wet/use a foam block under the paper. But... before you do that, come on back and get some more advice.

Always work least abrasive to most abrasive! Should be easy enough.

Totally agree on the wet sanding! Don't be afraid. I did most of the flat spots on my entire car last Aug. started with 2500 then went to 3000 checking results "often" . It all polished up nice. You just have to take your time. Just used Menzurna 3800 polish prior to my CQuartz UK application Patrick GT....and it was incredible. Black car and got rid of ALL swirls and surface scratches. I reworked one on the trunk until it was gone completely. Isn't have to worry about bird shit or tree sap or bugs or road tar!! Ceramic Coating is the only way to go.
Sponsored

blown302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 mustang gt/2004 svt cobra/2016 GT PP
just use the m205 with a foam pad and use light pressure while rubbing and be patient. It will take a few times and it will fade as you go. Any good wax after is fine.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
It is absolutely accurate. You will never be able to fix the etching left behind from bird poop once it has been left on the paint that long..25 years in the collision repair industry working on high end new cars. Don't need pics. You can wetland and polish as much as you want. It is etched! My custom garage kept,never driven in rain,hand rubbed only, covered in wax, show car got crapped on at a show. Was on the paint maybe for hours. Etched!
Once again, only fix is to sand and repaint. :mad:
Great advice...and your Mercury is awesome looking!!!

CVCashmere

OP
OP

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
Meguiar's 205 removed clear coat etching from bird dropping!

just use the m205 with a foam pad and use light pressure while rubbing and be patient. It will take a few times and it will fade as you go. Any good wax after is fine.
The Meguiar's M205 worked like a charm. I gave 3-4 cycles of rub in/ clean off and the etched stain is only 'very slightly' visible at a single angle in direct sun light. For all intense and purposes, it is gone. Also, the 'roughness left by the claying is gone as well as swirl marks.

M205 will be my go to clear coat etching/ stain remover!
Huge thank you.

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
That's great news...well done sir :thumbsup:

Sponsored

number6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium +PP
Great info and experience shared on this topic. My wife's poor Focus ST has to sit outside all the time and gets tons of poop between home and work. Always good to get different opinions on how to attack these issues. :thumbsup:

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
WTF do they feed those birds? Battery acid.
Sponsored