Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
Or something like that? PP car tires use nitrogen, and I'd love to have a can to top off, raise pressures when it get's cold, etc.

Anything other than the few tire places that have nitrogen?
Sponsored

johnson.ba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Track Pack
You shouldn't need to top off the nitrogen in your tires when its cold out, that's why you use nitrogen in the first place, it doesnt suffer the same expansion/contraction of atmospheric air.

Costco uses nitrogen in their tires, so check them out if you want to up your pressure. I believe they'll do it even if you don't buy tires from them.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
You shouldn't need to top off the nitrogen in your tires when its cold out, that's why you use nitrogen in the first place, it doesnt suffer the same expansion/contraction of atmospheric air.
Oh, you still have to adjust them. Not as much, not as often, but they do require adjustment.

local driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Camaro SS

Costco uses nitrogen in their tires, so check them out if you want to up your pressure. I believe they'll do it even if you don't buy tires from them.
All gas expands and contracts the same rate. Boyle's Law.

Sponsored

Indylatenight

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
Here in Indiana, Big-O Tires and the Tire Barn chains will top off nitrogen even if you didn't purchase the tire from them. Just an FYI.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Isn't about 80% of most air in air compressors nitrogen anyways. Whats to really gain from pure nitrogen?

Falconetti

cash me outside howbow da
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, 1994 SVT COBRA
Isn't about 80% of most air in air compressors nitrogen anyways. Whats to really gain from pure nitrogen?
less moisture, and really nitrogen is such a yuppy gimmick they get us suckers on , ill just use air and not give in to the marketing brainwash

Sponsored

local driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Camaro SS
The gain is that there's (hopefully) no moisture in bottled nitrogen, so that condensation does not cause corrosion inside the wheel.

But the effect of that condensation on tire pressure is negligible.

At the high end, the air inside the tire would have to reach 212 deg F for the water to become gaseous and cause a spike in pressure. That doesn't happen in street driving conditions.

Anyway, the last time I bought a new car, I was offered a "package deal" with nitrogen because it would "keep my tire pressure light from going on".:doh:

ghostnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
At the high end, the air inside the tire would have to reach 212 deg F for the water to become gaseous and cause a spike in pressure. That doesn't happen in street driving conditions.
Even higher. A tire is at 32 psi nominal, which means 32 psi over atmospheric - that is, 32+14.7 ~ 47psi. Water boils at about 280 degrees F at that pressure.

In any case, you're not right. Boiling isn't the only way water vapor exists. In other words, water does not need to reach boiling temperature to exert vapor pressure. Here's a primer on why, as applied to tires and water vapor. https://jalopnik.com/heres-the-deal-with-nitrogen-filled-tires-1795659391

The TL;DR is that 1) over time, static PSI will decrease about 1.6 times faster than nitrogen tires since oxygen molecules are smaller and penetrate rubber easier than N2 - but the opposite happens as well; 2) tires heat up while driving, which significantly increases water vapor pressure.

My TL;DR is that N2 fillups are strictly better than atmospheric, but only by very little. So if it's free, you should always select nitrogen. However, don't even think about paying extra for it.

local driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Camaro SS
Even higher. A tire is at 32 psi nominal, which means 32 psi over atmospheric - that is, 32+14.7 ~ 47psi. Water boils at about 280 degrees F at that pressure.

In any case, you're not right. Boiling isn't the only way water vapor exists. In other words, water does not need to reach boiling temperature to exert vapor pressure. Here's a primer on why, as applied to tires and water vapor. https://jalopnik.com/heres-the-deal-with-nitrogen-filled-tires-1795659391

The TL;DR is that 1) over time, static PSI will decrease about 1.6 times faster than nitrogen tires since oxygen molecules are smaller and penetrate rubber easier than N2 - but the opposite happens as well; 2) tires heat up while driving, which significantly increases water vapor pressure.

My TL;DR is that N2 fillups are strictly better than atmospheric, but only by very little. So if it's free, you should always select nitrogen. However, don't even think about paying extra for it.
Great article at that link! Thanks.

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I have a N2 tank that I bought from the local gas company that I used on my racing kart tires. Pretty inexpensive to buy and only $20 to refill. The regulator is the expensive part. Had it for 3 years and filled many kart tires and adjusted my Mustang tires many times and haven’t had to refill it yet.

And N2 does expand with heat, kart tires would be up 3psi from start to finish of a 10 lap oval race.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
No need. Over time only nitrogen in air will be in the tires if you put normal air in them as only nitrogen molecules will be too big to pass the holes in rubber.
So just keep filling up until pressure stabilizes. I think temperature will have more effect on pressure.
Sponsored