Sponsored

Metra/Kenwood combo...pics!

JCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Auto GT
Just had a Kenwood 7 inch head unit installed in the Metra dash kit. Haven't had much time to fiddle yet, but it's a light year's upgrade over the stock system. Screen is great but glare is an issue. So, screen is great when I can see it. Android auto works well so far but again, haven't had much time yet. HVAC controls work as advertised, steering wheel controls are active and SYNC is still there, though I don't know why I'd need it at this point. Metra seems to have gotten their act together well enough for a good combo with the Kenwood system. So far so good.

I like the Metra Kit. It's clean, simple. Matches the interior pretty well. I'll try to post a more thorough review of the whole shebang in a week or so, after I've had a chance to get familiar with things.

Some pics in the meantime....
Metra Kit.jpg
Metra Kit 2.jpg
Sponsored

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
below the head unit looks great, but I just cant get over that odd looking kickout

Danman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Yeah, I really like the digital HVAC controls. Less knobs is a blessing.

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
I still prefer the OEM look best

samrio

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.samr.io
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Do the climate controls still kick on with remote start, with the Metra kit?

Sponsored

KevinG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP 6SPD Recaros w/black roof
So much flat area, it looks weird. Paint/Wrap it silver and you got the racecar look

OP
OP
JCat

JCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Auto GT
Do the climate controls still kick on with remote start, with the Metra kit?
Haven't used the remote start yet...I'll check in the morning.

I mainly agree with the other comments on the look of the Metra unit. Although I will say it's grown on me and I really don't even notice all the unused space on the kit. If you have the base GT, the buttons on the right side of the Metra are useless. Probably for dual zone climate. I don't know.

As I've already mentioned to a few folks in PMs, the dash kit is really just a means to an end ... that end for me is a new head unit. I installed a Kenwood DDX9904S -- it kicks butt. System now sounds like it was meant to sound. Focal RCX coaxials up front, Focal Auditor 165Cs in the rear deck, JL 10" Microsub in the trunk. And a Kenwood 5 channel amp powers it all. :headbang:

Bigdrumma22

Sangre
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT
Haven't used the remote start yet...I'll check in the morning.

I mainly agree with the other comments on the look of the Metra unit. Although I will say it's grown on me and I really don't even notice all the unused space on the kit. If you have the base GT, the buttons on the right side of the Metra are useless. Probably for dual zone climate. I don't know.

As I've already mentioned to a few folks in PMs, the dash kit is really just a means to an end ... that end for me is a new head unit. I installed a Kenwood DDX9904S -- it kicks butt. System now sounds like it was meant to sound. Focal RCX coaxials up front, Focal Auditor 165Cs in the rear deck, JL 10" Microsub in the trunk. And a Kenwood 5 channel amp powers it all. :headbang:
So no issues with sync, backup camera, or steering wheel controls? Everything integrated as promised?

OP
OP
JCat

JCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Auto GT
So no issues with sync, backup camera, or steering wheel controls? Everything integrated as promised?
So far, so good. Back up camera is great, steering wheel controls work as advertised, HVAC functions like it should. Only thing I have yet to remember to check is whether climate controls go on with remote start. I will try again tomorrow morning since I'm a little lazy right at the moment.

Otherwise it's all good. :D

Jeff

Bigdrumma22

Sangre
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT
I just don't understand why they have to replace any of the A/C controls. As far as I know, the only thing integrated into all that A/C wise is the fact that the fan speed lowers when you make a phone call but that's a feature I'm sure we could all deal with not having. Is there something else I'm missing? I kind of agree with the others about it making it look to plain with all the flat space, but if factory controls were maintained, it'd cut down on a lot of that empty space.

Sponsored

DevilDocAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V6 but it’s neato
Prob a nice upgrade over the base model. Buddy of mine has a base model and frankly I hate all the controls and lack of feature.

I would still prefer the premium factory option. Ford really got it right w that.

draconis123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
It's great to see this. Been considering doing it myself but wanted to see some real world reviews.

I've seen some reviewers saying the little screen was bad. How has the quality been for you.

Bigdrumma22

Sangre
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT

[email protected]

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick D
Vehicle(s)
red gt auto
wow they must have literally just changed it? it was showing for 390 something :/
Sponsored