Sponsored

Speaker Upgrade

blakedanatural

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 Premium
Hello All,
I have a 2015 Gt Premium with the 9 speaker set up. I know everyone has different options of speaker replacement but I would love to hear them. I originally replaced my factory 6.5 ( front and rear) with JBl but I am reading people saying they are like Walmart SMH :) Also with your thoughts regarding a amp upgrade as well or just upgrade with factory amp. Please include center speaker,mid and tweeter speakers. Let the opinions begin.
Sponsored

donmcgowen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, D1 Procharger Stage 2
Hi Blake. It depends on your budget. I have had greast success using Infinity 6.5 component with tweeters for the front doors and Infinity for the rear. They are a great "budget" speaker that sound great. You can replace all but the A pillar tweeters for about $250. They are not even needed in my opinion.

I am also running a 4x120w rms Hifonics Brutus amp for the interior and a Hifonics Brutus 1200x2w rms amp with 2x10" Alpine Type R subs. If you want to replace the A pillar tweeters grab some Infinity tweeters. The good thing about the two sets of tweeters is that they are wires together. Meaning the door tweeters and A pillar tweeters use the same speaker wire coming from the amp so it's very easy to tap into both tweeters at the same time.

This is not a competition system but sounds great for about $1000. Plus I added the 10" Tesla android stereo for another $520. The Sync 2 left too much to be desired.

Feel free to ask any questions. I'm not an expert and others will have their own opinions, but I have used these Infinity speakers in multiple cars and have worked great with no issues.

Here is my choice for front speakers.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_112223_Infinity-Reference-REF-6520cx.html

My choice for rear.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_112207_Infinity-REF-6522ix.html

A pillar tweeters

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_112211_Infinity-REF-3022cfx.html

sublimaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
As donmcgowen said, it depends on your budget. Do you plan to install a subwoofer? If you are trying to stay within a budget, then a subwoofer (plus an amp to push it) will influence how much you can spend on everything else.

Personally, I like Focal component speakers, and JL Audio subwoofers & amps. JL Audio makes a Stealthbox specifically for Mustang. I don't have one in my car (yet) but I had one in a Challenger and the sound was incredible. They are not cheap, but they are worth the money if you want serious bass.

Btw, what you read about JBL is correct...barely a step above stock :doh:

donmcgowen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree the front stage is most important. Should be where you start. But if you are going to amplify your system, swapping out the rears wouldn't be a bad idea.

Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Found what I was looking for.

Can someone tell me if the actual speakers in the premium or shaker system are running full range at the actual drivers? Or are they clipped at the factory amp or head unit? Sorry not trying to jack ur thread, Id like to change speakers to but dont feel like addn an amp at this point.

Last edited:

mtncable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0
I will not be sitting in the back seats. So,
I didn't replace mine.
Found what I was looking for.

Can someone tell me if the actual speakers in the premium or shaker system are running full range at the actual drivers? Or are they clipped at the factory amp or head unit? Sorry not trying to jack ur thread, Id like to change speakers to but dont feel like addn an amp at this point.

donmcgowen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In my opinion, just replacing the speakers isn't going to make much difference. It's usually the amp signal quality that determines how your speakers sound. Not saying it won't make any difference, but adding a decent amp will make the biggest difference in sound.

sublimaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
In my opinion, just replacing the speakers isn't going to make much difference. It's usually the amp signal quality that determines how your speakers sound. Not saying it won't make any difference, but adding a decent amp will make the biggest difference in sound.
This.
Replacing the factory speakers without adding an amplifier is a waste of time & money. Factory head units usually have just enough power to push low-end (read: cheap) factory speakers. Even "upgraded" factory stereo systems have the cheapest parts they can source. You are always better off getting the base stereo and upgrading later with aftermarket products of your choice.

I agree that replacing the rear speakers is also a waste of time & money. Buy the best dashboard and front door speakers you can afford, and don't worry about the rear. The rear speakers are just to "fill in" the sound, but your ears will focus on the front sound stage, as many have pointed out. And get a decent amplifier to push the front speakers, because the factory head unit won't do them justice.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 12 speaker system in my car, and just replaced the front components.

For the price it's a nice upgrade, I was actually surprised how much clearer it became.

Granted the 9 speaker is different but I am sure there is still something to be had from better speakers.

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I have the 9-speaker system, and I am a life-long audiophile and ex-professional speaker designer. The rear speakers suck, and so does the center speaker. The door speakers are acceptable. I disconnected my center speaker, and fade the sound all the way to the front.

Because it is not trivial to get full-range signal to the back shelf, I gave up on further improvements. Just not worth the time or money to me. :(

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
Tesla unit gave my whole system a louder/deeper and clearer result on stock base speakers. It's acceptable for me now.

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
I have the base sound system in my 2015 V6. I feel the same as I would love to upgrade the speakers and add an amp but not sure which brands/type I should go with. I want more of a Concert hall sound, not looking for heavy bass and vibrating the car with the speakers. I was thinking Rockford Fosgate Speakers/twitters, or perhaps Bang & Olufsen. What brand /model Amp should I get? Also, I will eventually replace the head unit but I like my Sync and use of my steering wheel controls so it will have to be compatible- but that's down the road. First would be speakers and amp. Suggestions??

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Sub upgrade. RF amp, RF dvc sub in shaker pro housing.
Power from battery, turn on from passenger fuse box.
Signal from rear deck, high level since the amp takes that.
35380230020_a469d7dc30_k.jpg
20170411_152007 by chefjpd, on Flickr

$500

OP
OP

blakedanatural

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 Premium
Thanks for the conversation guys. All of my stuff arrived from sonic electronics last week. The audio control lc2i ,JL Audio JX500 amp and the JL Audio Stealthbox subwoofer. I ordered the polk db351 speaker for the center speaker but I am reading that people have disconnected the center speaker for better sound. I replaced the front lower speaker and rears with JBLs and the sound is prolly slightly improved I guess I will need to disconnect the factory amp and replace with a aftermarket 4 channel one. I want to install everything at once. Any opinion on Polk speakers. Thank you guys
Sponsored