Sponsored

thePill's "Official" C7 Z06 Shrine

stage3s4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, PP, CO
I saw 2 comments on here that I wanted to respond to. First someone had mentioned that the C7 Z06 had ballooned from its 2002 variant as a balanced track car to what is essentially what the ZR1 tried to accomplish (omg horsepower) and I agree wholeheartedly.

While the "Z06" dates back to the 60s, I believe most folks in the modern era remember it as the 2001 version, but fondly remember it in its 2002 form when it got bumped to 405HP. GM did such a wonderful job in fine tuning the C5 platform, which at that time was really world class, and charged a ridiculously light price for it. They even brought back the "hardtop" body style because it was more rigid and lighter than the standard Corvettes with the hatch door. The result was a car that could run 12.4s in the quarter, going neck and neck with the grotesque Viper V10 with 500hp (8.3L by then?), .96g on the skid pad, and from 70-0 in 160ft. Back then I remember it being around 50K for an amazing sports car. This thing could punch up the ladder of performance more than a few rungs.

This takes me into the second comment I read about the complaints about the interior and creature amenities. Corvette has gotten waaaaay better since the C5, and I'll be the first to say yeah that was one ugly interior. But GM is/was making sports cars for the sports car inclined. Call it purpose built or cutting corners to keep the costs down, but that's the entire point of a Corvette. Performance is front and center, no need to pay for a bunch of junk you may use a few times then forget was there. It's one reason I picked a base GT over a Premium one; I just wanted the thrills of the V8. Does it turn away potential buyers? Yeah I'm sure it does, but my answer would be the same for those who will go on and on about how some cars should be manual only: it's not for you. Go elsewhere. The whole "redneck Ferrari" just seems like an ignorant comment (Ferraris are more than raw performance numbers) to make imo, especially on a Mustang forum.

The C7 Z06 disappointed me in a few ways it exists, most of all it being a supercharged V8 engine. More power solves most problems, but it just comes off as using a sledgehammer than a hole punch to me. Take the GT350 for example. Such a wonderful step in the right direction, but because of bricks like the Hellcats from Dodge, I've been hearing talks of yet another GT500.

The C7R uses a 5.5L race version of the LS/LT/whatever letter/number they decided to put after the L these days. I think it would have been cooler if the Z06 was equipped with that and designed as being a street sibling to that car, much how the C6 Z06 got the 7L engine based from the C6R before they had to drop the size due to regulations changing and the GT1 class going extinct.
agreed to what the other poster said. In order to be competitive and not have to deal with emissions issues going supercharger was a no brainier. Force induction is really the wave of the future so I would expect to see alot more of it moving forward.
Sponsored

BaylorCorvette

Track > 1/4 Mile
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 C7 Z51
It really seems to be a QC issue for the Z06, I've tracked along side with a few different C7 Z06's and only one exhibited heat soak issues. All of them were bone stock, just different drivers.

Some say it is just the loud minority and this isn't a wide spread issue. That may be true, but it seems unlikely since the large number of issues the Z06 has had with auto mags, especially given the sample size. It's a shame because the C7 is leaps and bounds better than any Corvette in looks, interior, driver feel, etc. I'm a big fan of the C7 Z51 and would be with the Z06 as well if it didn't have so many issues.

Lowrider

Drive Fast...Live Slow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A poorman's coupe
At least it won the 2015 world's greatest drag race...I Wonder why the Shelby did not represent. Neither did the GT make it on the list for MT's 2015 driver's car....Ford seems to be scared of competition. LOL

[ame]

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
At least it won the 2015 world's greatest drag race...I Wonder why the Shelby did not represent. Neither did the GT make it on the list for MT's 2015 driver's car....Ford seems to be scared of competition. LOL
They said in the article why there was no GT350.
GT hasn't even finished testing, so why would you expect it there ?

Lowrider

Drive Fast...Live Slow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A poorman's coupe
They said in the article why there was no GT350.
GT hasn't even finished testing, so why would you expect it there ?
What did they say?...please share.

And also what more testing does the GT need? It was tested by MT.

If a Miata and a VW can make it on the list why not the GT?

Sponsored

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
I used to be a Chevy guy, but lost faith in the early 00's. That said, they've made massive strides in the last two years, and Cadillac is on their game. Good to see them back on their feet and throwing punches.

corvettez06usa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
drawback of OHV engines, which dont have variable valve timing like DOHC can so it has weaker power density and worse emissions. I read that GM wanted to do a high revving motor but couldnt get emissions to work out. There you have it.
My problem isn't the supercharger itself, its the fact they wanted to push 600+HP. The generations of Corvette I grew up with always seemed to strive to push the sports car philosophy more than sheer power. Toward the end of my post I pointed out the 5.5L used in the C7R, which is NA, that has more than proven its worthiness in the toughest test in the world.

It started with the C6 ZR1, which I never liked either. When they first announced it, I was hoping they would have done something special like the one from the 90s where they went to Lotus and designed a 32V DOHC. Instead they just slapped on a supercharger and made it have way more power and torque than was ever useful.

I personally don't feel balls to the wall sheer power fits the Corvette these days. That segment is getting hot with the GTR, Viper, and whatnots in the 550-600+ range I understand, but to me this is an opportunity for GM to define the Corvette as a sports car and point at the Camaro Z/28 or ZL1 to satisfy those wants. Porsche is still THE sports car benchmark, and they seem to get it right even after the GTR shook up that segment so hard.

The GT350 is such a departure of what we've seen from Mustang the past decade, it's ironic that Corvette went the other way. Low and tight. Balance. Usable torque curve. Give it a custom Z06 only 6 speed manual as perfect as possible for manual lovers. No automatic. All about road and track performance. I hate the term, but dare I say it, a drivers car.

Last edited:

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
What did they say?...please share.
They didn't get one in time.

And also what more testing does the GT need? It was tested by MT.

If a Miata and a VW can make it on the list why not the GT?
Your talking about Ford GT or Mustang GT ? Sounds like Mustang. Why it didn't make the list and R and Miata did, I don't know - they try to provide a variety of cars and Mustang wouldn't be much different than ton of others. Miata handles way better, not sure what Golf R is doing there.

Nasty99z28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 z28 with full bolt-ons and a mwc fab9
I don't think they are going to have issues with the GT because it isn't pushing any limits. It's uses an engine that has a few years on it that isn't using the tech that is causing so many others issues. The only chance of problems are interior and body panel alignment...which is what people are having issues with.

The GT350 and the FPC should be interesting to watch...
Well everyone screams that the lt4 is a huge fail yet it seems to be more of a packaging issue in the vette and not the caddy. Even though the GT is using a engine that's been out its still using different parts and at much higher boost levels. It's simple its a new car so it'll have a problem. That can be from any Brand.

Sponsored

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
Well everyone screams that the lt4 is a huge fail yet it seems to be more of a packaging issue in the vette and not the caddy. Even though the GT is using a engine that's been out its still using different parts and at much higher boost levels. It's simple its a new car so it'll have a problem. That can be from any Brand.

Does not help the said owner of a very expensive boat anchor. I am sure the corvette owner is most impressed when GM states we know your car will not live up to advertised performance but hey don't feel bad the caddy still works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mustangletback

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 droptop mustang
As many have already heard, the Z06 failed Motor Trends Best Drivers Car test. Appearently, with all of the respect thePill shows the Corvette in general, I completely missed the C7 troubles... I figured thePill would start a Z06 thread.

First off, I have a terrible announcement to make. ThePill will officially use a little "z" when referring to the C7 z06 from here on out. I have given it a lot of thought and with some convincing from some others, I have decided to award the 2015 z06 thePill's "Little z" award. This is given to "Z" model Chevy's that abandon their heritage for stupidity. I will begin this thread with the already legendary Randy Pobst video of him lapping Laguna Seca in the 2015 z06.

Again, thanks to all for reading!!!

******MUST READ LINKS******

http://corvettec7fiasco.blogspot.com/2015/10/the-plot-thickens-as-general-motors.html?m=1

http://corvettec7fiasco.blogspot.com/?m=1

COMING TO A CAMARO NEAR YOU!!!
and another one.
Staggering 347 2015 Corvette C7 Z06 already experienced catastrophic LT4 engine failures:lol:

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Pill focus on gt500 lol
The 2017 Mustang has JUST got the green light for R&D maybe in September. Unless the GT500 is built in Germany, we will see it at Bremerhaven.

The z06 issue is a big one and it will have a direct effect on the LT4 Camaro. The mistake was merging the z06 with the ZR1 because the LT7 failed emissions. The same exact issue is quickly approaching the Camaro. The LS7 was built for a Corvette, just as the LT4 was built for a CTS-V. Any time a vehicle adopts an engine at GM, there are always issues...

I don't usually assault the Corvette BUT, this is actually a preemptive strike against a Camaro that doesn't officially exist yet...

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550