Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Remote start is a different (active) function of the key fob than keyless entry. The manual states that the range is much greater on remote start. Keyless entry, I believe, relies upon passive RFI but the auto manufacturers implementation of it seems to have a massive security hole as has been noted.
I came back from LA last week and was staying in a two story walkup in Santa Monica, on the 2nd story. I was driving a 2015 F150 Lariat with remote start. next door to me was a 2 bedroom apartment. I was able to start the truck from inside my apartment, and the signal had to go through a whole lot of concrete and rebar.

Is the signal that strong? If so, thats a huge issue to me.
Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
This security vulnerability has nothing to do with remote start. It is amplifying the signal between the key fob and the car so the thief can unlock the door and then start the car like the key was in the car.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
I dunno, maybe lojack is worth it? What's the reputation of that?

Crais

I call it Vera
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 DIB GT Premium PP
A simple on/off switch on the keyfob seems like a good solution until something better comes along.

I'd trust that a lot more than the faraday cage fabric pouches. I'd be worried that they would wear enough for some signal leakage without me knowing.

73MachI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT M6 PP ESP Magnetic
I came back from LA last week and was staying in a two story walkup in Santa Monica, on the 2nd story. I was driving a 2015 F150 Lariat with remote start. next door to me was a 2 bedroom apartment. I was able to start the truck from inside my apartment, and the signal had to go through a whole lot of concrete and rebar.

Is the signal that strong? If so, thats a huge issue to me.
I wouldn't worry about that, mate. In fact, I'd be happy that the "active" range is so great. Of course, thieves could leverage this to hack and steal your vehicle, but there's a much greater concern...

The part that you (and I) need to be concerned about is that the passive RFID antennae in your key fob can be sensed and spoofed with $20 worth of electronics from eBay. And as far as I have seen (and I did major in telecommunications) the only solution is the "stash your key fob in a Faraday Cage" solution. e.g. store your key fob in a metallic pouch or other such construct, like a microwave oven, freezer, or tin foil. Which all kind of winds up defeating the purpose of the convenience of a keyless entry fob.

Great work, auto manufacturers... I sense a class action law suit.

Last edited:

Sponsored

73MachI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT M6 PP ESP Magnetic
A simple on/off switch on the keyfob seems like a good solution until something better comes along.

I'd trust that a lot more than the faraday cage fabric pouches. I'd be worried that they would wear enough for some signal leakage without me knowing.
I believe that there are two different "systems" in the 2015 Mustang key fob. One is an active transmitter that I really wouldn't worry too much about being leveraged for hack or theft. Not much has changed there in 20-30 years. The other is the passive RFID for "keyless entry and start" that is causing all the debate.

Unless you can defeat the passive RFID antennae in the key fob in some manner (e.g. with a 'Faraday Cage'), I don't think that there's a simple way around this yet. I mean, there is no way for an on/off switch to defeat the passive antennae in the key fob. It works just the same as the RFID antennae hidden in your pass card for work or other secure access scenario. It resonates with an active transmitter in your car and the car transmitter senses this and opens the door/starts the car.

In all seriousness, I'm wondering if this is the makings of a class action lawsuit against all the automobile manufacturers utilizing this technology. It seems like a gaping security hole.

WeinerDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT/PP
What is the range? My car is several hundred feet and a building between when at work and at night it's in the garage.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
I'll leave this here.
image.jpg

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
Too bad I can't pull the ignition rotor like on my '69.
I might have to dust off the ol 'club'. :lol:

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
What is the range? My car is several hundred feet and a building between when at work and at night it's in the garage.
The report I read said at least 50 meters but as much as 100. Pretty damned far,,,

Sponsored

Cars_1959

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8
Could you imagine the number of people that will be stealing the high end cars with all this keyless entry crap. Why do these car companies have to always go for the latest and greatest things only to cause more problems. Are we so lazy we can't get a key out of our pocket. What's next no driver required , oh wait that is around the Corner.
In one article on the Fob problem I saw that in London, the insurers would not insure the Range Rovers unless they were locked in a garage at night.

Seems this has been happening in Europe for a long time and Scotland Yard has a web page up on the problem.

K R A Z Y:mad:

batz1917

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT Premium (401a) w/ PP
Turn off keyless entry?

Crais

I call it Vera
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 DIB GT Premium PP
I believe that there are two different "systems" in the 2015 Mustang key fob. One is an active transmitter that I really wouldn't worry too much about being leveraged for hack or theft. Not much has changed there in 20-30 years. The other is the passive RFID for "keyless entry and start" that is causing all the debate.

Unless you can defeat the passive RFID antennae in the key fob in some manner (e.g. with a 'Faraday Cage'), I don't think that there's a simple way around this yet. I mean, there is no way for an on/off switch to defeat the passive antennae in the key fob. It works just the same as the RFID antennae hidden in your pass card for work or other secure access scenario. It resonates with an active transmitter in your car and the car transmitter senses this and opens the door/starts the car.

In all seriousness, I'm wondering if this is the makings of a class action lawsuit against all the automobile manufacturers utilizing this technology. It seems like a gaping security hole.
Are you certain? I was under the impression that it was a rf handshake relationship between the fob and the car.
LF and UHF being the two methods for passive and active, respectively.

OP
OP
drbrian722

drbrian722

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
The fob (key) utilizes a battery and it does talk to the car as shown below.
01.JPG

If the battery dies in the fob than the physical key is required to gain entry into the car. The slot under the cup holder has an emitter to ping the RFID with enough power to enable it to be seen and start the car.

02.JPG

If the battery is removed from the fob none of these hacks work. Likewise a small switch worked into the fob for disabling the battery would work as well.

SteveTheStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kona Blue LE #825 AT PP