Sponsored

SC'ed GT or Tuned M235

djeayzonne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 prius, 2010 ford escape
Hey guys, new dilemma.

After finally test driving the GT last week, I spent the last few days reading most of the threads in the modification subforum. I now understand the GT can be moderately supercharged without sacrificing reliability to achieve around 600 HP for around 7,000.

Which got me thinking about the M235 and the fact that it already has a turbo, so I started wondering if it would end up being the better end-game value if it would be easier to mod.

Well, it seems just a 500-dollar tune gets that car to around 400 HP and 450 TQ. The higher TQ over HP ratio has me kind of excited.

I still think the car itself is kind of boring to look at and having to pay an extra 3,000 just for the LSD rubs me the wrong way, but having a torque monster that weighs less and probably has better handling seems cool.

What do you guys think?

I am still leaning towards the GT but curious if anyone else has had similar thoughts.
Sponsored

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
GT all the way. For me, there is nothing special about the M235. I'll be around 700rwhp in my mustang come March:)

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
The GT with PP out-handled and out performed the M235i. Stock vs. Stock, the GT PP is the better performing car albeit a bit bigger car in both weight and size.

You can get a Whipple setup that will give you a very reliable 640RWHP and over 500RWTQ on about 8-9lbs of boost. That motor with a great tune will last a long, long time. Keep in mind, these are rear wheel numbers, not crank horsepower.

OP
OP

djeayzonne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting info on the PP!

Do you think that equally applies to the street as well?

How about the confidence factor? Does the GT PP feel tossable?
That on-rails feeling is the only thing I like about my previous RX-8.

Chargedguard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Supercharged 5.0 can't go wrong. It will be all the power u want. Mine on a very mild 91 octane tune and only 7lbs of boost made 542rwhp. It should be close to 600 with a good 93 octane tune.

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)

Yes. This car is very sure footed on the street for a stock machine. You can also add some upgraded Steeda parts like springs, sway bars and g-track brace and take the handling to the next level.

I think the car works well in its stock form. It is a bigger wheelbase and larger car, so the feeling I am sure would be a bit different than your RX-8 and M235i since they are both smaller.

The car exudes a lot of confidence on curvy roads, on-ramps, etc.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB 3.55 gears 20" Foundry Wheels
OP you also need to think how long you plan on keeping the car. Obviously after tune with the M235 your warranty will be gone unless you go Dinan? But the same good be said about S/C the stang? And yes there is the whole "must be proved any failure caused the mod" thing but- I think the stang will prove reliable longer in general. If your just leasing the bimmer and plan on dumping it in 3yrs or so, well then maybe I could see it? But if buying and planning on keeping it a long time- I think the stang would be the better choice.

OP
OP

djeayzonne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chargeguard,

I just noticed we live in the same area.
Any chance you could let me ride in your car some time?

OP
OP

djeayzonne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, the idea is to keep it a very long time.

If I did go with BMW, I would probably lease it just because it is a BMW. That in itself is not quite a deal breaker, but I have never leased a car and always thought it a bad idea.

Chargedguard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Chargeguard,

I just noticed we live in the same area.
Any chance you could let me ride in your car some time?
Yeah That shouldn't be a problem. I'll be really busy the next few weeks with work but as soon as we slow down I'll let u know.

Sponsored

Chargedguard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I had a 2011 with 637rwhp and for some reason this car feels faster. I Doubt it is but it just has that feeling. I am more and more impressed with car every day.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

They're different cars. The GT has way more character, but I'd be lying if I said I felt as confident driving it as I did the M235i. The 2er has better sight lines and a smaller foot print. It might not post better recorded stats, but I would feel more comfortable pushing it on a back road. Putting the two cars together, I bet they'd stay neck and neck just from the added confidence.

With that said, it's kind of sterile. You'd have to be pushing it hard to have near as much fun as you would driving mildly spirited in the GT.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
And as good as the N55 I6 is... it sounds like a dud compared to the Coyote. Think of all the exhaust options man!

OP
OP

djeayzonne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the feedback.

The lack of confidence is about the only negative I can find with the GT, other than I don't like how big the 'mouth' is in comparison to the headlights and the rest of the front. However, it does sound like it would be the more enjoyable car.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the feedback.

The lack of confidence is about the only negative I can find with the GT, other than I don't like how big the 'mouth' is in comparison to the headlights and the rest of the front. However, it does sound like it would be the more enjoyable car.
For what this is worth...

One of the car magazine testers used to post on this forum and he compared the M235i vs '15 GT PP as he had just drove them back to back (I think within a couple days of each other). He chose the '15GT PP hands down. Said the Mustang was the clear winner. Again, this is his opinion:D

I will try and find that post but not sure I can. This was a few months ago when the testing was done.
Sponsored