Sponsored

Acceleration Feel / First fast car

Deviruchi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 (L0646)
Just respect the power and you'll be fine. You'll have very few situations where you can just floor it from low speed. You'll need to be in higher gears/speeds. 400 whp is enough to get one in a ditch pretty easily. ~650 whp and it's child's play to break the car loose. Keep your head leveled and cool and you and your car will be fine.
Seconded. Most powerful I've driven is a 450 HP corvette, and I literally never felt comfortable flooring it. That I think will be the big difference, most other cars you just can just jam the throttle and be fine.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Seconded. Most powerful I've driven is a 450 HP corvette, and I literally never felt comfortable flooring it. That I think will be the big difference, most other cars you just can just jam the throttle and be fine.
It took me a couple of years to get comfortable with hanging the tail out on command in the Mustang. Most of that came with getting rid of the sloppy subframe and suspension, which meant the car became predictable and consistent. The GT500 will have the suspension dialed in, but I suspect that it will still have the big floppy subframe bushings and rear LCA bushings. Time will tell.

Sparko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Shelby GT 500 convertible
Get used to the car totally before pushing it. It doesn’t matter if it’s in turns, launching it or just accelerating into traffic. The biggest scare I had in my gt500 was when the weather turned a bit cooler ( like 50 degrees ) and I accelerated moderately into traffic and the car went sideways...it can and will happen suddenly and you need to know what you are doing at all times. The crappy Goodyear’s they put on the 2013’s we horrendous as well.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
As others have said, just be mindful of the power. I had a 11 GT500 that made 720RWHP. I live in a warm climate, but when the temps dropped to 50, the car could get squirmy quickly out back. Just remember with 600+ TQ coming on at 3k or so, things can get out of hand before you know it. Just drive and accelerate when you feel comfortable with the road and car. Ease in and get a feel and by all means, RESPECT the power.

Even after you learn the car, so will still need to remain vigilant of the conditions and power. This new GT500 will be putting the ponies down in a hurry. It's going to be a fun ride for sure. Just as I said, RESPECT the power.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Find someplace open where you can intentionally get the car out of shape..

MOST excellent advice, FCB! OP, this could save your car...really.

And I will second Ninjak's emotion with...RESPECT THE POWER.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Ive driven 1500 HP gtrs, 1200hp 997/996s, 1800hp Lambos.

Just respect it. There is a time and place for WOT, but 760chp isnt that much. 1st and 2nd gear could be tricky to someone that hasnt had real power before.

Bangarang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic Silver GT 500 (L0545), 2018 Ford Raptor, 2003 Honda Accord Coupe EX-V6 6-Speed

Just respect it. There is a time and place for WOT, but 760chp isnt that much. 1st and 2nd gear could be tricky to someone that hasnt had real power before.
But VOODOO, have you ever driven a H E N N E S S E Y build? :inspect: :crackup:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Get used to the car totally before pushing it. It doesn’t matter if it’s in turns, launching it or just accelerating into traffic. The biggest scare I had in my gt500 was when the weather turned a bit cooler ( like 50 degrees ) and I accelerated moderately into traffic and the car went sideways...it can and will happen suddenly and you need to know what you are doing at all times. The crappy Goodyear’s they put on the 2013’s we horrendous as well.
I agree with getting used to the car and gradually increase what you do rather than jumping on it when you aren't completely familiar with it. I would even add that it's preferable to be familiar with the road as well before pushing very much. Metal bridge expansion joints, bumps, rain, etc. and spinning the rear tires / high speed / full throttle can be bad combinations.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Remember the throttle isnt an on-off switch. You cant just mat the go peddle and hope to keep the shiny side up for long. To confident to fast. Ends badly.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DocGT

DocGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shadow Black GT500, 2019 Explorer Sport
Thank you everyone for your input. Great input and advice.

VOODOO I can’t wait to reach him your level of power consumption.

For now 760hp will definitely be a thrill ride!

1stMustang-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR070, 2019 Ranger Lariat

Voodoo, how do you expect the GT500 to comoare to those high HP Godzilla's?

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
But VOODOO, have you ever driven a H E N N E S S E Y build? :inspect: :crackup:
I would have but i dont know anyone thats actually received a Hennessey car after paying for it

Voodoo, how do you expect the GT500 to comoare to those high HP Godzilla's?
666rwhp stock is way under what im used to, but an amazing platform to start. the 2650 has already proven big #s. the the 5.2+ 9.5 CR lets me know big boost is just around the corner.
I feel the engine, untouched, will be good for 11-1200, the dct, im not so sure. It will likely be 2-3 years before im ready to cross the 4digit HP, considering the DCT will cost $15-20k for a solid build. Ill be happy with 850 to the tires, which i think is a few basic bolt-ons away, and hopefully well within stock dct limits

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
666rwhp stock is way under what im used to, but an amazing platform to start.
V: That comment gave me a grin..it must be nice to have that level of experience..seriously. I was a street racer as a kid but then school and that eventual dang job got in the way. Therefive, my '14 500 stock, was truly a handful when I got it.

Now, I know what the car (read, rear end) will do and it's mostly a piece of cake. However, bumping up to the '20 I believe is also going to be a shock but hopefully, my limited experience will shorten the learning curve.

All that said, I'm just your basic "waxer" :-) who loves to lay down lots of rubber, (can't you just SMELL IT NOW?) and get up to speed quickly before jumping on the binders and praying for no law enforcement presence. :-)

Anyway, I'm envious of anyone who is serious about upping the "hearse pers" to four digits and higher but I think those cars would be out of my league.

BE SAFE OUT THERE, amigo!

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Leave stability control on , I no lift shifted 1-2 in my 630 rwhp cts-v with it off and went into a pole at about 50 mph. Stability control would have kicked in and saved me there. The stability control in these modern mustangs is much less intrusive than it was in that CTS-V.

oFPsqHp.jpg
Sponsored