Sponsored

Who will swap for the new 7.3 V8!

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
1973 was the last year Ford even tried to match GM in displacement.

1973.......anything else was just a specialty/niche offering.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang

Sooner or later the specs will come out and things will get interesting or die out...

As much as getting back into the performance car world after years and years for me, somethings stay the same. One of the first things a young man will get is a car and if he has real choice in the matter it will reflect who he is. He is just starting out, probably not married, no kids, maybe first job. If it’s a performance or sports car then is more of a certainty that his self-image and part of his identity is tied to that car he bought.

So when you criticize his ride it’s like taking a swipe at him personally.You see a lot of that here. I get it but I always find it amusing how some people act shocked at the emotion and words that get thrown around here with out knowing why. Same with bigger is better. I used to berate others in my youth who had the V6 or I4 motors, so when I get some of that back like in this thread I can’t criticize, it is just part of the culture and not some mortal wound to the ego.

I am not solely defined by the car I drive. I’m old enough to have other accomplishments you could find out just by a google of my name. The V6 Mustang never shows up. Anyway I was just thinking about this reading some of the posts. No matter what you say about the motors technically, bigger is better on a visceral level and a bigger number on the fender has the others (of lesser number) justifying their selection when they really didn’t before when they had the big motor (sort of like what is happening even now). And yes, to the novice the 7.3 car would appear to be better than the 5.0 car which probably irritates the Coyote guys even more about this motor. It is what is is...

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Sooner or later the specs will come out and things will get interesting or die out...

As much as getting back into the performance car world after years and years for me, somethings stay the same. One of the first things a young man will get is a car and if he has real choice in the matter it will reflect who he is. He is just starting out, probably not married, no kids, maybe first job. If it’s a performance or sports car then is more of a certainty that his self-image and part of his identity is tied to that car he bought.

So when you criticize his ride it’s like taking a swipe at him personally.You see a lot of that here. I get it but I always find it amusing how some people act shocked at the emotion and words that get thrown around here with out knowing why. Same with bigger is better. I used to berate others in my youth who had the V6 or I4 motors, so when I get some of that back like in this thread I can’t criticize, it is just part of the culture and not some mortal wound to the ego.

I am not solely defined by the car I drive. I’m old enough to have other accomplishments you could find out just by a google of my name. The V6 Mustang never shows up. Anyway I was just thinking about this reading some of the posts. No matter what you say about the motors technically, bigger is better on a visceral level and a bigger number on the fender has the others (of lesser number) justifying their selection when they really didn’t before when they had the big motor (sort of like what is happening even now). And yes, to the novice the 7.3 car would appear to be better than the 5.0 car which probably irritates the Coyote guys even more about this motor. It is what is is...
This makes no sense. Lol

You're saying the car and the size of the motor doesn't define you and therefore doesn't matter, but then you're saying it basically does. It's OK to be affected by human emotion. We all do.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
1973 was the last year Ford even tried to match GM in displacement.

1973.......anything else was just a specialty/niche offering.
Do you not remember the 80’s, when ford’s smaller motor kicked the crap out of anything Chevy or Pontiac came out with, even though ford had a displacement disadvantage? I was a Chevy guy back then and the smaller ford’s drove me nutso.

It wasn’t until 1993 that gm even had half a chance...

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Displacement = Torque
Technically, torque is a function of displacement, compression, and VE. The “little” 5.0 has a big compression and VE advantage over any 2-valve pfi engine.

But I’ve already covered that....

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
We're spoiled right now. Spoiled by cars that anyone with the financial means can walk onto a dealer's lot and buy with zero hassle. Cars that run 12, 11 or even 10 second 1/4 mile times with no or minimal modifications all while having AC, power windows, cruise control, stereos, navigation, power steering, ABS - and the same cars actually drive nice and handle well. And personally I'm okay with being spoiled like that and I'll continue to enjoy it while it lasts.
This.

I used to live at the dragstrip back in the late '80s and well into the '90s. Old school muscle was just becoming valuable, so it was everywhere. Back then I ran a '70 Cougar (gutted save the driver seat) with a stout 351C, 4V heads, giant Ford Motorsport solid lifter cam, big Holley on a single-plane intake, C4 with a loose converter, 4.56 gears in the 9" rear. It ran mid to high 11s and felt and sounded like the world was ending.

I love the old muscle (and still own one, and always will) but if someone had told me back in the early '90s that we would be able to buy a car off the showroom floor today that could run 12s (or better) in stock trim with all the luxuries I would have laughed in their face. And have handling to match? What a time to be a car enthusiast.

It's almost hilarious to drive my old 'junk' and the '15 back to back....

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
This makes no sense. Lol

You're saying the car and the size of the motor doesn't define you and therefore doesn't matter, but then you're saying it basically does. It's OK to be affected by human emotion. We all do.

It’s your stage in life. I’m almost 60 so I have a resume of life experience to define me. When you are young and starting out, you buy your identity as that is the fastest way. Wearing the right clothing, having the right phone, the right runners and then the right car. Later it does not matter so much but the younger you are, the more it does. The younger ones are also more emotional - hormones you know...

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Is anyone going to tell him that NASCAR has pushrod engines that redline past 10,000 RPM and generally live around 8,000?
This is silly. They use pushrods because and ONLY because the rule book requires it. If the rule book allowed dohc and 4 v, you’d see every team switch over the next day, guaranteed. And if you think that a nascar engine would live on the street for any realistic usable life, you’re dead wrong.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
This makes no sense. Lol

You're saying the car and the size of the motor doesn't define you and therefore doesn't matter, but then you're saying it basically does...
These were my thoughts exactly, as I read it. He goes on and on about how he doesn’t care what people think then brags about the label on the fender and what the 5.0 guys might think about it.

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
....The younger ones are also more emotional...
Same hypocrisy ....you admitted that your reasoning for wanting the 7.3 isn’t rational....but visceral (relating to deep inward feelings rather than to the intellect).

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
This is silly. They use pushrods because and ONLY because the rule book requires it. If the rule book allowed dohc and 4 v, you’d see every team switch over the next day, guaranteed. And if you think that a nascar engine would live on the street for any realistic usable life, you’re dead wrong.
Maybe not the current setups - but I can tell you that the SB2 stuff was damn fun to drive on the street and made good power. It wasn't worth the $ vs HP unless you knew somebody or caught a deal - but shifting a small block chevy at 7K+ RPM and not having to be on the track to do it was very amusing.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Same hypocrisy ....you admitted that your reasoning for wanting the 7.3 isn’t rational....but visceral (relating to deep inward feelings rather than to the intellect).

Scotty says Chrysler makes the best V8 in part because it’s a pushrod (BTW: He personally owned a 5.0). Getting upset?

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
It’s your stage in life. I’m almost 60 so I have a resume of life experience to define me. When you are young and starting out, you buy your identity as that is the fastest way. Wearing the right clothing, having the right phone, the right runners and then the right car. Later it does not matter so much but the younger you are, the more it does. The younger ones are also more emotional - hormones you know...
If you think old people aren't the same then you're just joking yourself.
Sponsored