Sponsored

Preview: Diode Dynamics LED Turn Signal Housings!

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost
These look fantastic. And I love the idea of "OEM+" and the effort DD has made in that regard.

I have searched and can't find anything but did I dream that there were people who were eventually having troubles with error codes being thrown after a certain amount of time using switchbacks??

I hope not, I would love to have these.
Thanks!

The tail lights have a fault sense wire that can be finicky whether or not any mods are installed. The front lamps though do not have these kinds of issues, aside from general system monitoring. We have performed extensive validation testing on the OEM circuit to confirm that there are no issues, including fault codes or the clip-clop blinking. Thanks!
Sponsored

WeinerDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT/PP
It seems like the ECM (or whatever it's called now) was counting the number of low voltages or something and that after a while it was causing problems?? Maybe the car wouldn't start?

Maybe I should stay away from the mushrooms...:D

WeinerDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT/PP
Yes, still $180 per set, each set still includes:

Controllable sequencing mode, with standard (US) fast (EU) and none/static options
Clear or smoked lens
White parking light (with headlights on)
White DRL function, easily visible in sunlight (must tap headlamp, optional)
Bright, DOT compliant output turn signal - not just for show. Again, this was designed to be a part that could have come from the factory.

We won't be able to do a group buy on this product, thanks for asking though.
So, how do you turn on the DRL mode? Tap headlight...what's that mean? Sorry for ignorance.

I am definitely buying these, they look SO much better than those Opti7 ones.

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Comp Orange / Daily 2010 F-150 5.4L
So, how do you turn on the DRL mode? Tap headlight...what's that mean? Sorry for ignorance.

I am definitely buying these, they look SO much better than those Opti7 ones.
He is saying that you need to tap the power feed to the headlight/DRL's. That way when the DRL's come on the turn signals will come on in white to match. It's an option, so not required but definitely a cool feature and worth the extra step IMO!

WeinerDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT/PP
He is saying that you need to tap the power feed to the headlight/DRL's. That way when the DRL's come on the turn signals will come on in white to match. It's an option, so not required but definitely a cool feature and worth the extra step IMO!
Doh! Of course...thanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost
Yes, that is correct. It will come with a tap to connect... OR, we will offer a plug-and-play harness with OEM headlight connectors as an option if you'd like to avoid the tap.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
Yes, still $180 per set, each set still includes:

Controllable sequencing mode, with standard (US) fast (EU) and none/static options
Clear or smoked lens
White parking light (with headlights on)
White DRL function, easily visible in sunlight (must tap headlamp, optional)
Bright, DOT compliant output turn signal - not just for show. Again, this was designed to be a part that could have come from the factory.

We won't be able to do a group buy on this product, thanks for asking though.
If someone doesn't want the DRL function, then there is no need to tap the power feed to the headlight's DRLs. In that case, how is the installation done? Is it just a matter of replacing the stock turn signal/parking light housings with the new ones and then simply plug the connectors?

Also I guess the bumper has to come off for the installation, right? I am asking this because I have already removed the bumper once, in order to install the Diode Dynamics Switchback DRL LED Boards on my European Mustang and to be honest I hate to do it again...

EDIT: [MENTION=9987]Diode Dynamics[/MENTION] I guess your answer above applies to US spec cars, not to European ones that have the DD Switchback DRL LED Boards installed. The connection on European cars will be done either using tap connectors or through conventional splicing?

ZackJones

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS
Yes, that is correct. It will come with a tap to connect... OR, we will offer a plug-and-play harness with OEM headlight connectors as an option if you'd like to avoid the tap.
Plug and play all the way. Thanks for offering this as an option. I'm not sure if I want them all all of the time though. We'll see once you guys start selling them.

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Comp Orange / Daily 2010 F-150 5.4L
Yes! Always would rather a connector than relying on a tap.

WeinerDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT/PP
Outstanding. :thumbsup:

Sponsored

WeinerDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT/PP
Plug and play all the way. Thanks for offering this as an option. I'm not sure if I want them all all of the time though. We'll see once you guys start selling them.
I hear ya. I'm a little concerned they will "overpower" the gills. I may not do the DRL mode but it's nice to have the option.

ZackJones

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS
I hear ya. I'm a little concerned they will "overpower" the gills. I may not do the DRL mode but it's nice to have the option.
I'm in the same boat. I watched the video for about the 10th time and think I would prefer to leave them off. The only problem is I think it will be a PITA to toggle between having them on and off. I guess it will depend on how hard it is to get to the wiring harness to make or remove the connection. Still props to Diode Dynamics for giving us the option.

WeinerDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT/PP
Took my 2010 in today for state inspection and asked if white parking lights are legal in Virginia. I was told they are not. Looking up code on the internetz, it appears that is true. Bummer.

Slyfox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver 2015 mustang
I am 100% certain there are only 2 ways to install turn signals. I just installed some several weeks back. Take off the front end or go through the fender well. I opted to go through the fender well. There isn't anything hard about replacing the turn signals, but it is time consuming. I'd plan on 3 hours for the whole thing. But the results after are worth the time and injuries! Haha :headbonk:

One thing to note, when taking out the fog light/turn signal housing, there are clips holding the housing in after unbolting everything. You might think you are breaking the clips to get the housing out. You aren't. It takes some force. Just a heads up.
Are the clips holding the assy to the bumper or are they holding the fog light to the assy and did you need to take the wheels off which I really don't want to do. Just planning ahead just in case these ever get released :shrug:
Sponsored