Sponsored

ZL1 vs GT350 head to head next week!

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
Does the whine from a positive-displacement supercharger have the same effect as nails on a chalkboard to anyone else, or is it just me? I couldn't stand it in my buddy's F150 Lightning, couldn't stand it in the 2003-04 Cobras, can't stand it on the Hellcats, and I can't stand it here. Turbo whistle & blowoff sounds fine to me... These just sound like they're straining against themselves though. I'm sure some people like the sound (I guess), but it's just not for me. :shrug:
Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I'm expecting the ZL1 to beat the GT350 in every category except for fun.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I think putting the ZL1 vs the 350 is saying a lot. The ZL1 power to weight .17 and GT350 .14 more than 100hp over the 350. That is a testament to the capabilities of the 350 that it is being compared th the ZL1. High probability that pobst will be faster in the ZL1. My prediction? Randy will choose the 350 as the better or more fun car.

thehygienist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
IRISH
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT350
The question on everyone's mind: will the lack of oil separators on both cars cause neither car to live up to their full potential! <sarcasm> Will Chevy's secret hidden oil separator project give the ZL1 the edge it needs?? <more sarcasm>

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
:lol:

Too bad they can't actually go head to head, have fun with that 1.7 SC, better hope it's cool.

Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I bet Randy in a GT350R is faster than Randy in a ZL1 Auto.

The GT350's systems are far superior for endurance as well. A ZL1 probably won't be consistent after Lap 3.

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The question on everyone's mind: will the lack of oil separators on both cars cause neither car to live up to their full potential! <sarcasm> Will Chevy's secret hidden oil separator project give the ZL1 the edge it needs?? <more sarcasm>
Rat-a-tat-tat. Somebody's got a drum to beat.:D

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I think the ZL1 will beat the GT350R in performance. But hey its a NA vs SC engine. So not quite apples to apples.
Yeah,.....the ZL1 takes this one.
Most say that the supercharged cars will go limp/heat exhaust after a couple of laps. We shall see.
On the drag strip, the ZL1 will embarrass the GT350R. Chevy built a car that does the track/strip all in one. Maybe when Ford comes out with the new GT500, it will be the dual purpose as well. :thumbsup:

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Does the whine from a positive-displacement supercharger have the same effect as nails on a chalkboard to anyone else, or is it just me? I couldn't stand it in my buddy's F150 Lightning, couldn't stand it in the 2003-04 Cobras, can't stand it on the Hellcats, and I can't stand it here. Turbo whistle & blowoff sounds fine to me... These just sound like they're straining against themselves though. I'm sure some people like the sound (I guess), but it's just not for me. :shrug:

I don't like it either.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Yeah,.....the ZL1 takes this one.
Most say that the supercharged cars will go limp/heat exhaust after a couple of laps. We shall see.
On the drag strip, the ZL1 will embarrass the GT350R. Chevy built a car that does the track/strip all in one. Maybe when Ford comes out with the new GT500, it will be the dual purpose as well. :thumbsup:
It's not really a good comparison, NA vs FI, regardless. We all know the ZL1 has 120hp more and the Camaro SS itself is already track capable. If it didn't win then there would be a big problem.

If the rumors are correct with the GT350 looking mules then it should be some crazy combo of the GT350 chassis and a CPC FI 5.2 V8 in the 700-800hp range. Good power and a great track chassis.

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Yep, true comparison will be Fords supercharged car. I have a good feeling it will put a damper on the ZL1s mojo in every category. Only problem is that it's taking too long to get here.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
If the rumors are correct with the GT350 looking mules then it should be some crazy combo of the GT350 chassis and a CPC FI 5.2 V8 in the 700-800hp range. Good power and a great track chassis.
I agree sir!
I hope the new GT500 has gobs of power/torque and is a true performer in every aspect. I'm saying it right now,....my wallet is going to hate me!!! lol :D :headbang:

**So, help me understand something here. And this goes out to anyone here that can answer the question. If the ZL1 is faster around the track with the supercharger, why wouldn't those that own the GT350/GT350R cars want it supercharged in the first place?! Because of heat soak/limp mode? Because of weight? But, the new ZL1 will probably not have any issue with that. Wouldn't anyone want the faster car around the track or strip?
The ZL1 isn't the top of my list for looks. I like the exterior of the car, minus the rear spoiler/rear end. The interior really hasn't grown on me yet either.
Now the GT350/GT350R cars look dynamite inside and out. I've been saying this for a while now. I think the GT350/GT350R cars are some of the hottest looking Mustangs out there to date. And some of the best sounding stock cars as well. :thumbsup:

mmm635

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
I think putting the ZL1 vs the 350 is saying a lot. The ZL1 power to weight .17 and GT350 .14 more than 100hp over the 350. That is a testament to the capabilities of the 350 that it is being compared th the ZL1. High probability that pobst will be faster in the ZL1. My prediction? Randy will choose the 350 as the better or more fun car.
Agree. I am more curious about 11 coolers doing the trick for real-world cooling - not journalism laps...jury is out if it is a band aid or not. Porsche, and Ford following their footsteps, attack the cooling a different way that suits endurance well.

The two Z06's we had would spank my GT3 and GT350 on paper, but they sat in the paddock getting lapped by other cars that would not overheat.

Mr. Adair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT3
This one is easy. The ZL1 will never have the Motorsports pedigree of the GT350. It might have more outright grip and power but that doesn't make it the better track car. Or put it this way. I had a '15 Porsche GT3 and sold it and wanted another track car that was less expensive to operate and I only considered one car. The GT350R. The Gent's over at Rennlist wouldn't even consider a ZL1. Many GT3RS owners have GT350's as well.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I agree sir!
I hope the new GT500 has gobs of power/torque and is a true performer in every aspect. I'm saying it right now,....my wallet is going to hate me!!! lol :D :headbang:

**So, help me understand something here. And this goes out to anyone here that can answer the question. If the ZL1 is faster around the track with the supercharger, why wouldn't those that own the GT350/GT350R cars want it supercharged in the first place?! Because of heat soak/limp mode? Because of weight? But, the new ZL1 will probably not have any issue with that. Wouldn't anyone want the faster car around the track or strip?
The ZL1 isn't the top of my list for looks. I like the exterior of the car, minus the rear spoiler/rear end. The interior really hasn't grown on me yet either.
Now the GT350/GT350R cars look dynamite inside and out. I've been saying this for a while now. I think the GT350/GT350R cars are some of the hottest looking Mustangs out there to date. And some of the best sounding stock cars as well. :thumbsup:
IMO 1) those 2 or 3 seconds on a certain tracks isn't worth trading the NA experience for. 2) too many vibes with the FPC...need to change OPG for sure. 3) cooling issues , 4) PITA 5) I'd rarher wait for the next FI mustang. The thing about the 350 is the awesome feel and the FPC is very special...feels and sounds great
Sponsored