Sponsored

2018 new dash thoughts?

Alaskan9974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 gt premium & '17 gt350
Any reason why the new ones couldn't be integrated into an older car? Using forscan or a tune I can't imagine there is much difference physically.
Sponsored

TruBlu16GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
'16 Blue GT Base
I don't like them. I prefer analog gauges.
I'm right there with ya, brother. I'm sure the graphical display is going to add a lot to the bottom line as well. Sure, it's great if you're of that attention deficit generation, but it's completely unnecessary. Also, from what little I have seen of it, it makes the dash look awkward now. Instead of two round dials in front of you, you have a barbell-shaped hole in the dash.

It really seems they've made a complete hash of this update. But they hit the target so well on the 15-17, they made it a really tough act to follow.

ravengenesis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rai
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Oxford White
I like them in a futuristic bodied car, like the Lexus, looks crazy, and warped... love it or hate it... it suits in..

Somehow on the Mustang, or even the new Camaro, it's just eh, since everyone has one, lets give it as an option. It's only an option on premium, and I doubt there will be many in dealer lots offered and you must build your own.

I still remember shopping for my 2010 Lexus RX450h, they advertised HUD, and it was unheard of as a feature back then except for even higher level cars... and the dealership said they located 3 scattered around the US, because they're not expected to be a highly selected option... most people won't even know it was an option...

HavasuCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Base, Competition Orange
Different style for sure, like most I'm accustomed to the two dials that's been standard in the Mustang. What I do like is bringing back My Color, should have been standard on every 15-17 model. Also bringing back a true Orange exterior, looks good in the videos.

OP
OP
airfuel

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
Any reason why the new ones couldn't be integrated into an older car? Using forscan or a tune I can't imagine there is much difference physically.
Ford wants to sell cars, not have older cars updated to newer cars.
I would be surprised if they made it possible to retrofit anything onto the previous models.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
New dash is "gee wiz cool" but in reality, once you set a preferred layout, will you ever change it?
Highly unlikely, and once that decision has been made it'd be a 'no big deal' from that point forward. No thoughts on a price point.

layout isnt consolidated as it could be, a bit much info and spread all over the screen. Lexus has the better implementation for LCD gauges in their F Sport modes and RCF/GSF.
Separation of gauges and readouts is a good thing. Throwing everything all close together like in those Lexus pictures works against easy reading of the one thing you might be looking for.

Never mind that there are at least four different display types - dial, horizontal bar, digital, and picture. Like Lexus couldn't make up their collective mind which way to go so they decided to try a little of everything. The first one (RC-F) is a real mish-mash that lacks any semblance of a consistent theme. Made different for different's sake alone . . . did they take their cue from what the designer for the new grille design came up with or was it the other way around?.

A good example of something that Ford should avoid doing.

I think its lame when a car gets LCD gauges but then they make the graphics look like traditional gauges, whats the point then
Because traditional (round) gauges are easy to read and interpret at a quick glance. It's not always necessary to even know what number the needle is closest to (probably an alien concept for those with little or no exposure to analog clocks and watches).

Norm

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
If it comes with the track packs then cool if not I'm perfectly happy with analog gauges. Not willing to pay extra just for this but wouldn't mind if it comes with the car. I'm happy either way.

VTECSAUCE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB PP GT w/ RECARO's & ITR swapped '94 hatch
I want the LCD gauges. The OEM 15 gauges look so cheap and tacky imho. My biggest qualm with the car.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Freakin love it!
You know i used to have one of these around around 19 years back on the Toyota Supra 2.8i
was cool then, but never caught on, and for the 3.0 was dumped
ebay832537.jpg

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
If they did add sensors which read the gear for manuals, there is even less chance that these gauges can be retro fitted into 15-17
My accessport has an option to show what gear the car is in. And it has nothing to do with speed, it will display the correct gear with the car not moving.

NowhereFast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem. PP, 1999 WS6,2010 Expedition
I think the digital dash is rather cool, but the novelty of it would wear off like anything else. I don't like the fact that the gauges will no longer be in between the dash vents, I think it really jazzed up the dash and was one of the reasons I wanted the PP.

khannected

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sohaib
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT
My accessport has an option to show what gear the car is in. And it has nothing to do with speed, it will display the correct gear with the car not moving.

That's pretty cool. I wonder how it works.

TexArmageddon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Well you aren't driving you Sony LED TV down the highway at 80 mph.
Pretty sure those TVs and and Phones see heavier usage than anything your car dash will ever meet. I'm sorry, but it isn't hard to guess the ballpark rate of speed you're going without traffic and it's even easier with traffic.

OP
OP
airfuel

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
I wonder if the base dash will get a digital mph.
Sponsored