Sponsored

Had my first track day with the car, AT DAYTONA!!

jpilone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I don't know how many of you guys are on the GT350 owner's facebook page, but I posted there. I had my first track day with the Shelby at Daytona this weekend (not my first track day, I'm a Track Day Junkie!).

The car did great! I found the limits of the tires. When I have nothing else better to spend money on, I'll get another set of wheels for decent street tires, and put slicks on these OEM wheels. I miss the conti slicks I had on my 2004 Mach 1...

Reached a top speed of 160mph. It had more in it, but there was no need... It was also my son's first time as a passenger with me, as he's finally old enough to ride with me. He was excited. I captured his reaction to his first time on track.

[ame]

The car handled amazing, but I wasn't *that* impressed with the stock brake pads. I ran Hawk HPS on my old Mach 1 and it felt more "grippy" than these did, especially when slowing down from 140mph to 70 to enter the bus stop turn...
IMG_0209.jpg
IMG_0553.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
jpilone

jpilone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
And for those asking, I covered the front of the car with "road wrap" temporary clear film. It held up well and did its job!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Please give me the details on how you got to track it in Daytona..... I live here and I didn't know they let people track there.

OP
OP
jpilone

jpilone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Please give me the details on how you got to track it in Daytona..... I live here and I didn't know they let people track there.

Ditto, PDG

performancedrivinggroup.com

I've run with all the major companies around here. I like PDG the best personally.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jpilone

jpilone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Ahh, the glorious sound!

[ame]

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Very very cool! I was looking at chin a while back and didn't see any Daytona Beach dates. I just saw PDG does this again October 6-8. Its probably going to rain like hell with the hurricane coming

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Ditto, PDG

performancedrivinggroup.com

I've run with all the major companies around here. I like PDG the best personally.
+1 for PDG. I've been with them twice to Sebring. I wanted to make it this weekend to Daytona but couldn't swing it. :(

fuhrius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, Focus RS, Raptor
And for those asking, I covered the front of the car with "road wrap" temporary clear film. It held up well and did its job!
I was more interested to see what safety equipment you'd put in the car to protect your son than what you did to protect your paint.

OP
OP
jpilone

jpilone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Very very cool! I was looking at chin a while back and didn't see any Daytona Beach dates. I just saw PDG does this again October 6-8. Its probably going to rain like hell with the hurricane coming
Chin is good too, but they charge an annual membership fee, and they don't do Daytona.

PDG does Daytona in October every year.

Hooked on Driving is going to Daytona in December, but it's $150 more per day than PDG, and the event is shared with the Audi club.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jpilone

jpilone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I was more interested to see what safety equipment you'd put in the car to protect your son than what you did to protect your paint.
Not driving the car at 100% and keeping distance from cars was enough in my eye.

I do want harnesses though, the seatbelts don't do enough to hold you in firmly at the track. I am getting Schroth harnesses before my next event.

RoadRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Nice video with your son riding gun!!
btw......did you pass tech with Elmo riding in the backseat? :eyebulge:

OP
OP
jpilone

jpilone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Nice video with your son riding gun!!
btw......did you pass tech with Elmo riding in the backseat? :eyebulge:

Maybe!! He will be better buckled in next time. And it's Animal!

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
Maybe!! He will be better buckled in next time. And it's Animal!
Haha - I noticed he made it about a half lap before passing out!

It's always strong to do laps at Daytona. That is a fast track.

You going to put a roll bar in it for the harnesses?

Check out NASA FL - new and big 2017 schedule all over Florida, best sat night party too. :cheers::cheers:

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I never really liked HPS pads, I'm surprised you hold them in high regard when the stock 350 pads are so good and fade resistant.
Sponsored