Sponsored

Steeda's S550 Tri-Ax Race Short Throw Shifter is Here!

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I bet you they put the shifter handle and black collar on backwards. The single hex bolt must point towards the right of the car.
That's EXACTLY what happened actually, just didn't have enough time to fix it at the end of the day.
Sponsored

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
[MENTION=10893]David@Steeda[/MENTION] - I have the Tri-Ax shifter - yeah for me! My question, will the GT350 Shift Knob clear the Steeda Derlin reverse lock out collar? I have read that a mod has to be made when using the Barton collar & GT350 knob.

Thanks...

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Here is what ive done. Installed mgw, uninstalled mgw and reinstalled stock shifter. Installed mgw on a friends car. Installed tri ax. You could say ive done it a few times. It would be easier to access everything with the driveshaft out of the way but that involves removing the exhaust and i didnt want to mess with it.
Watching your video again and comparing to the steeda instructions, I notice you did not actually remove the shift linkage from the car.

Was there a reason you did not remove it? Would see that assembling the shiftier would be a lot easier if you weren't doing it on your back and working around a driveshaft.

s550_Arctic_Knight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Watching your video again and comparing to the steeda instructions, I notice you did not actually remove the shift linkage from the car.

Was there a reason you did not remove it? Would see that assembling the shiftier would be a lot easier if you weren't doing it on your back and working around a driveshaft.
I feel it would be very difficult to install the bolt that mounts the linkage to the transmission. It sits between the mounting arm and the linkage.

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6 performance pack, whipple charged
I feel it would be very difficult to install the bolt that mounts the linkage to the transmission. It sits between the mounting arm and the linkage.
I assembled it outside. If you remove drives haft the transmission will drop enough for you to work in the area. My buddy and I even got it on with out removing drive shaft but it made things much harder.

Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Interesting, seems like it is a bit of a pain regardless of which route you go.

I assembled it outside. If you remove drives haft the transmission will drop enough for you to work in the area. My buddy and I even got it on with out removing drive shaft but it made things much harder.
So, with the driveshaft in place, was reconnecting the shift linkage was fairly difficult? Could you have connected it by yourself?

Curious, were you on your back or did you have a lift?

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
OK, so shop fixed the install and reverse lock out works... HOWEVER now I can't screw on the stock shifter knob all the way down or the reverse lock out can't raise enough.

I guess that is another install issue? Thinking about getting another shift knob anyways, any that screw in fully but shorter than stock?

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP Ruby Red
OK, so shop fixed the install and reverse lock out works... HOWEVER now I can't screw on the stock shifter knob all the way down or the reverse lock out can't raise enough.

I guess that is another install issue? Thinking about getting another shift knob anyways, any that screw in fully but shorter than stock?
Jonathan -

I'm running a Big Dog shift knob on Steeda's Tri-Ax shifter.

For the install, I spun the knob all the way down and then backed it up until the reverse lock out would work. I then removed the knob, counting the number of turns it took to take it off. I then applied the Locktite to the shifter threads and screwed the knob back on counting the same number of turns. I let it sit overnight and, viola, the knob is securely fastened to the shifter and the reverse lockout works fine.

Hope my experience helps. :cheers:

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Jonathan -

I'm running a Big Dog shift knob on Steeda's Tri-Ax shifter.

For the install, I spun the knob all the way down and then backed it up until the reverse lock out would work. I then removed the knob, counting the number of turns it took to take it off. I then applied the Locktite to the shifter threads and screwed the knob back on counting the same number of turns. I let it sit overnight and, viola, the knob is securely fastened to the shifter and the reverse lockout works fine.

Hope my experience helps. :cheers:
Thanks Ralph!

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes what Ralph said. You need to try a few times until you have knob it right spot so it stops in right position where reverse will engage. I had to try a few times. I swapped my stock nob for the Ford racing knob and it came with a small nut that you adjust it's hight so the knob will stop in correct place. Not sure how it would work for stock knob if you don't have a nut for it to stop at.

[MENTION=9382]foghat[/MENTION] I did the install on the floor and no I would not suggest doing the install alone. Anot extra pair of hands helps. Especially if not removing drive shaft. It was a pita because I have banana fingers.

Sponsored
OP
OP
David@Steeda

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
[MENTION=10893]David@Steeda[/MENTION] - I have the Tri-Ax shifter - yeah for me! My question, will the GT350 Shift Knob clear the Steeda Derlin reverse lock out collar? I have read that a mod has to be made when using the Barton collar & GT350 knob.

Thanks...
I'm not sure if it will bud, I sent you a pm :)

OP
OP
David@Steeda

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
Update on shift knobs: they are just coming out of manufacturing and we should have them for sale very soon. Black and white options. :)

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update on shift knobs: they are just coming out of manufacturing and we should have them for sale very soon. Black and white options. :)
Can't wait to see them. Lmk when available brotha!

OP
OP
David@Steeda

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
Of course these are available right after I bought my RTR knob. I would have gladly got one of these.
Sponsored