2017/2018 Mach 1 Mustang Mule?

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I'm still not convinced that a GT500 is in the cards at all, based on everything I've seen. And I personally believe that any SE will be for '19MY, rather than an '18.5, but Ford may well decide to pull things up if they perceive it necessary for competitive reasons.

For the record, I'd bought into the '18 Mach1 enough to have previously structured my own budget plan around being in a position to purchase one late next year. But after sorting through the reasoning outlined above, I just don't see it. If an SE model doesn't arrive, as I believe, until '19, I may have to satisfy myself by picking up a used Boss instead in the mean time. Obviously not an S550, nor the new hotness anymore, but still cool - and still a vehicle I have a personal connection to. Anyway, I digress...

I do want to point out, though, that if the SE is a '19MY, there is still the '20MY to do something with before S650 arrives for '21. That might mean that the SE will have a two year run, or it might mean that there will be two 1-year SE models...
Darn, your speculation about a Bullitt being possible for MY2019 is making me rethink my own plans. I was planning to see what comes for MY2018 and then make my decision then. I'd be so mad at myself if I got a 2018 and then they came out with a Bullitt a year later. Although, as was discussed in the Bullitt rumor thread, the chance of one at all seems very unlikely.

I think if there's any good year for a SE it's MY2017. I am still holding out hope that Ford has something up their sleeve for New York. Third model year with nothing new except a few colors just seems a little too lazy to me. It's still a great car and all, but aside from MY2020, MY2017 is when the Mustang will be it's most "stale".

Lastly, as for the GT500, I've heard some things I can't repeat but I'd definitely bank on a GT500 coming eventually. My guess is that MY2017 will be the last for the GT350 and the GT500 will be introduced for MY2018 at the same time or shortly after the refresh is unveiled (similar to GT350 timing after the 2015 Mustang launched).
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Lastly, as for the GT500, I've heard some things I can't repeat but I'd definitely bank on a GT500 coming eventually. My guess is that MY2017 will be the last for the GT350 and the GT500 will be introduced for MY2018 at the same time or shortly after the refresh is unveiled (similar to GT350 timing after the 2015 Mustang launched).
Psst, you can trust me not to tell anyone :gossip:

:D

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
For 2018: Mild facelift/restyle along with mild power increase of 10-15 hp/torque and 50th Anniversary Bullitt Edition.

For 2019: Mach 1 with increase of 25 hp/torque...maybe

GT 500 arrives with the revised and lightened S650 platform with stroked and supercharged aluminum 650+ hp 5.4L Coyote.

Until then unfortunately, the ZL1 rules.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
Well, I would be surprised if the Shelby model isn't updated as part of the midcycle refresh. If the GT gets bumped up in performance, the Shelby will have to also. But have seen nothing tangible that convinces me that they'll change the name. If it were a GT500, then the character of the car changes, and design intent of the car changes. GT500 has a distinctly different mission than GT350, and the car we have now is so specific to its mission, that I can't see morphing into the other. I rather expect that the it will remain a GT350, but will become even more kick-ass on the track. But who knows?

Keep in mind, though, that the updated SVT car might not be introduced alongside the '18 base car, for the reasons I mentioned earlier. Ford very definitely lays out their product introductions strategically, so as to keep interest levels high. When the S197 GT500 came out, it was two years after the chassis introduction, with a lengthy gap between SVT Mustang models. I'm not saying that'll happen again, but don't be shocked if it does on some level.

I haven't followed the Bullitt discussion; my speculation is based on things I've heard through my own contacts. But it is just speculation. I know that there would be issues with licensing the name, but OTOH, its the 50th anniversary. Maybe Warner Bros will want to play that up. I would rather the SE be a Mach1, but I also wouldn't say no to DHG.

Re: 2017. The car maybe more stale at that time, but I really do believe that if an SE of significance comes out, we'd know by now. Its mid march. Production would start this summer. The order guides would've leaked. Suppliers would be tooling up. There'd have been sightings of identifiable test cars. But above all, Ford would've shown it in Detroit. Maybe they still will in NYC, I suppose, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Granted, they kept the GT hidden until they surprised everyone with it, but no one was expecting it either. Something like this wouldn't have the same level of secrecy.

I guess the bottom line is: who knows? Well, we know who knows. We also know that they aren't likely to tell us for a while...

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Well, I would be surprised if the Shelby model isn't updated as part of the midcycle refresh. If the GT gets bumped up in performance, the Shelby will have to also. But have seen nothing tangible that convinces me that they'll change the name. If it were a GT500, then the character of the car changes, and design intent of the car changes. GT500 has a distinctly different mission than GT350, and the car we have now is so specific to its mission, that I can't see morphing into the other. I rather expect that the it will remain a GT350, but will become even more kick-ass on the track. But who knows?

Keep in mind, though, that the updated SVT car might not be introduced alongside the '18 base car, for the reasons I mentioned earlier. Ford very definitely lays out their product introductions strategically, so as to keep interest levels high. When the S197 GT500 came out, it was two years after the chassis introduction, with a lengthy gap between SVT Mustang models. I'm not saying that'll happen again, but don't be shocked if it does on some level.

I haven't followed the Bullitt discussion; my speculation is based on things I've heard through my own contacts. But it is just speculation. I know that there would be issues with licensing the name, but OTOH, its the 50th anniversary. Maybe Warner Bros will want to play that up. I would rather the SE be a Mach1, but I also wouldn't say no to DHG.

Re: 2017. The car maybe more stale at that time, but I really do believe that if an SE of significance comes out, we'd know by now. Its mid march. Production would start this summer. The order guides would've leaked. Suppliers would be tooling up. There'd have been sightings of identifiable test cars. But above all, Ford would've shown it in Detroit. Maybe they still will in NYC, I suppose, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Granted, they kept the GT hidden until they surprised everyone with it, but no one was expecting it either. Something like this wouldn't have the same level of secrecy.

I guess the bottom line is: who knows? Well, we know who knows. We also know that they aren't likely to tell us for a while...
Yeah regarding the name, GT500 definitely makes sense because the intent and setup of the car is completely changing. It's gonna be their halo car (aside from GT), the answer to the ZL1 and I'll just say Ford is coming back with a vengeance if my source is right lol.

Regarding 2017, I think something still could have stayed hidden until New York next week. I don't remember, maybe someone else can, did the 2016 California Special leak out before the official release?

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I must disagree with the GT500 not coming out until the next gen. Ford can not wait that long to release it. Ford for years has been top dog in the hp wars between mustang, camaro and challenger, obviously until the hell cat came out.

I just don't see ford waiting that long to produce it and allow chevy and dodge to control the market. It might not be called a gt500 but they will and have to produce a mustang halo car to continue to compete. I still think 2018 is the year.

Newedge713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 ford mustang hatchback
I must disagree with the GT500 not coming out until the next gen. Ford can not wait that long to release it. Ford for years has been top dog in the hp wars between mustang, camaro and challenger, obviously until the hell cat came out.

I just don't see ford waiting that long to produce it and allow chevy and dodge to control the market. It might not be called a gt500 but they will and have to produce a mustang halo car to continue to compete. I still think 2018 is the year.
I don't see Ford pushing the GT500 out because Chevy came with the ZL1 i bet the GT500 come in 2018 or early 2019

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I don't see Ford pushing the GT500 out because Chevy came with the ZL1 i bet the GT500 come in 2018 or early 2019
I don't think so either, I believe they had a plan and r sticking to it. I see it coming out at the end of 2017

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I don't think so either, I believe they had a plan and r sticking to it. I see it coming out at the end of 2017
That I do see the 1LE and ZL1 doing is pushing Ford to go all out with the Mach 1 and 1LE.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
Time will tell, folks. Even if Ford does show its hand for '18MY early, say in NY, why would they give away an SE prior to showing the base car itself? I still say that the base car will roll out first. That's how their marketing team thinks.

I don't get the comments that Ford will build a halo car (future tense), as if the GT350 wasn't that already. Regardless of what they call it, its still the halo model. I really don't think the intent of the next version will be different from the GT350 - it'll have the same basic mission, from what I'm seeing, and if anything will be even more of a track-focused performer. The GT500 isn't a track car by intent and never was, in any iteration or era. It was a big-bore, high torque bruiser, a street/strip sort of car. I just don't see the next evolution of Hummingbird going in that direction without a complete tear-up of the current car. Either way, I'd still bet that it won't coincide with the launch of the '18MY mainstream models. Just my $0.02...

Sponsored

blondie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang V6
from those old spy shots of the mule, maybe the mach1 will be a package name, just add ons, the gt350 will probably go on a few more years too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

williamwally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 gt
I'm just going to say it honestly; I think they will release the GT500 soon because I want them to.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
thePill thinks that there is no Mach 1 this generation.

There is more of a possibility of a follow up to the 2004 Mustang GT-R Concept car. The R Package for the GT will hand down some of the GT350's equipment.

thePill had heard "Mach 1" was the name for a supercharged 5.0 Coyote. If anything, maybe "Mach 1" will be the GT's "Drag Pack" and offer a supercharger upgrade (as well as some other 1/4 mile stuff). A Mach 1 package wouldn't compete with their own GT500 due to the nature of the package. 1/4 mile focus... I'd even limit the front tires to a 245 for less resistance.

2017 Mustang GTR or MGTR

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Anybody ever think this could be the new GT? Ford needs to do something in the mid model change to compete performance wise against the new SS.
Sponsored