Sponsored

Ticket help

krahooligan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I got pulled over by a cop this morning. First time ever. First ticket. 73 in a 45. What options do I have? I know I'm looking at 500 dollar ticket.
Sponsored

Knight5.0

Project Lightning
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium, PP, 401A
Option 1 - pay the ticket and be more careful.
Option 2 - go to court ask for driving school, get denied, pay the ticket, be more careful.
Option 3 - go to court request driving school, judge approves it, you pay court cost and fees Associated with driving school (which are almost as much as ticket) but after you complete driving school the ticket comes off of your record.
Option 4 - don't pay ticket, get an FTA warrant and get arrested next time you get pulled over. Have to pay ticket and bail to get out of jail.

DavisCustoms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium
Option 5) Go to Court, Request to see the calibration for the radar gun that tagged you, (they are required to have them calibrated every 6 months<more or less depending on state> ) if it's been longer than the allowable time frame between calibrations, the judge will more than likely throw out the ticket due to inaccurate radar/laser gun.
BUT... if it has been calibrated within the allowable time frame... your stuck paying the ticket plus court cost...:mad:

I Only recommend this route for a BIG TICKET only(25+ over the limit).... dont bother with this route if it's for less than 15 over...

and of course, you should always consult a traffic Lawyer for legal advice

Last edited:

Knight5.0

Project Lightning
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
Option 5) Go to Court, Request to see the calibration for the radar gun that tagged you, (they are required to have them calibrated every 6 months<more or less depending on state> ) if it's been longer than the allowable time frame between calibrations, the judge will more than likely throw out the ticket due to inaccurate radar/laser gun.
BUT... if it has been calibrated within the allowable time frame... your stuck paying the ticket plus court cost...:mad:

I Only recommend this route for a BIG TICKET only(25+ over the limit).... dont bother with this route if it's for less than 15 over...

and of course, you should always consult a traffic Lawyer for legal advice

Have you ever tried this?? With today's radar the officer does not Calibrate it like that. I don't know about his state but I know in Alabama they are tested every 6 months. In that consist of them banging a tuning fork and holding it up to it and it reads out a speed based off of the tuning fork vibrations. Then they marked in there lawbook radar tested. It takes literally 20 seconds to do. The likelihood that this defense will work in court is very, very , very low.

DavisCustoms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium
if you get a really big ticket, I would suggest looking into it, contact a local lawyer in that field and see what they say, they would be the ones closest to the local court system to know if it's worth trying...or not...

Sponsored

OP
OP

krahooligan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah the ticket is for 28 over. I'm boned. First offense. I'll just pay it. It's gonna be like 400 dollars is what the cop said. He went easy on my and didn't bother me for tint, exhaust, front plate, cai etc...

Horde5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
The Warchief
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Option 1 - pay the ticket and be more careful.
Option 2 - go to court ask for driving school, get denied, pay the ticket, be more careful.
Option 3 - go to court request driving school, judge approves it, you pay court cost and fees Associated with driving school (which are almost as much as ticket) but after you complete driving school the ticket comes off of your record.
Option 4 - don't pay ticket, get an FTA warrant and get arrested next time you get pulled over. Have to pay ticket and bail to get out of jail.
Do you have to go to court to get traffic school? I've been to traffic school twice and didn't have to go to court either time.

klumpikat

Chick driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 'Stang GT Premium
My record was clean (not forever but for when it counts). For my recent ticket in LA I got on the LA court site, entered my ticket number, and was given several options. Chose online traffic school, which I had at least 2 months to complete. I didn't want anything on my record and sure didn't want my insurance to skyrocket.

No chance for traffic school if you get another ticket within 18 months tho.
Good luck.

Isaac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Magnetic
I also just got my first ticket ever last Saturday. 63 in a 45.. I think I'm going to reschedule the court date at least twice, hoping that the cop's memory isn't that great. I'm going to hire a reputable traffic lawyer that will represent me in court, and I hope that he/she can get it dismissed. If anything, I can go for traffic school and get the point off my record. Good luck!

OP
OP

krahooligan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys. Talked with a few lawyers already. I was concerned because the rate of speed. I still don't understand how they designate it "criminal speeding"

Sponsored

Trappen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 ecoboost premium
which is still better than an automatic reckless is you are 35+ over the limit.

meenk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Do you have to go to court to get traffic school? I've been to traffic school twice and didn't have to go to court either time.
i didn't have to go to court either, it was just an option on the website. i think you can pay in installments too if i remember correctly. in my opinion it's probably best to just pay up and get the traffic school over with so your insurance doesn't go through the roof. but that's just me..

Knight5.0

Project Lightning
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
Some states/counties won't let you do anything online with the ticket that is 20+ over.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
For every ticket I've ever had, I got a lawyer. Got a ticket the 2nd day I had my license at 16 for 10 over, wiped because I challenged the radar (I had a radar detector and it never went off and the cop was parked side of road) and the ticket said he radar gunned me and, well, there was no radar gun used.
Got almost arrested for "impersonating a police officer" because some ricer lights on my car were on and were blue (...high school, give me a break), got that taken down to some kind of "incorrect/defective bulb" ticket that I went to driver school for and that ended up wiped.

Got ticket for illegal tint and headlight bulb out, car licensed in a different state. Went back to that state (aka, went back to college), showed I couldn't have found a bulb at that time of night and showed my tints were legal where I was traveling from and had no economical alternative means of transportation (I was also searching for a missing friend who disappeared after a state fair), wiped.

Got a 90 in a 65 ticket in WI. Went to court hoping to get it reduced, officer left the force and didn't show up... aaand wiped, with a lot of hate-face from the judge. :) Lucky me.

These all before I turned 20.

After 20... just a following too closely ticket that was the result of a taxi slamming on its brakes in the left lane to pick up a fare from the sidewalk in the rain and I couldn't stop in time on my Harley, so I bumped him. And because I had the big bad Harley with loud pipes and a bunch of other guys with me "intimidating the taxi driver" apparently, I got blamed. Until I went to court with my Go Pro footage and showed that an illegal stop by the taxi driver caused the issue and that the county should be happy that I was not hurt........ wiped.

My recommendation is to always go to court if this will be your first meaningful ticket. Or some driver school, with or without court. There is never a reason to just "pay the ticket" unless its in a state that does not have reciprocity with your own, which is rare.
Sponsored